Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fender Clearance

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KrebsATM02, Jul 5, 2000.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Well I finally get the lift on, the tires on, the 14 bolt in the rear and convert the front to 8 lug and then go out and bend my fenders. I was told that with a 6 inch lift you could run 35's. I run 35x14.50x16.50 super swamper radial ssr's. When i went on a hill that was off camber i heard an awful noise like i ripped the hell out of something. Well i did, it was my tires and fenders, so i go to the body shop to see about bending my fenders back and then trimming them. So this guy is pretty smart and he has this sweet ass crewcab 4x4 on 35's and he thinks that 4wheelparts gave me 4" springs in the front. I did the shackle flip and 2.5 inch springs in the rear. Also in the front i have 1/2" longer shackles. So i guess i am looking for people with 35x14.50x16.50 ssr's or just anyone that knows something. HELP ME I AM FRUSTRATED!!!!!! Thanks in advance - Doug

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

that really sucks. take it back to 4Wheel Parts and at least get your 6" springs put on. See what other free stuff you can get. Try talking to the manager. That place has really pissed off a bunch of people here. I'm sure you're about to hear all about it.

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

In serious twisty fourwheeling, I wouldn't think it's that unusual for 35x14 tires to hit the fenders, even with 6" of lift. I have a 4" lift and used to run 33x12.50's and they rubbed pretty good on the trail until I trimmed the fenders a little.
    One thing you could do is to measure from the center of the locking hub up to the lip of the fender and compare this measurement to others on this board who have 6" lifts. There is a lot of differences between lift kits, but you should be able to see the difference between a 4" and 6" lift this way.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well another thing that governs clearence is the offset off the rim your running. With a 14 inch wide tire I'm sure you got some deep offset rims. I know several people running 35's with very little rub. Depdog runs 35's on a 4 ich lift and has trimmed to clear 35's. He still has some rub under sever compression but its on the inner fender (flat).
    As for rattings of springs...My 2.5 Ranchos sit level with a shackle flip and 3/4 spacer in the rear. I even have a 150lb bumper on the front. Those spring may be 6 inch and on the street you would never have the problem but once you get to stuffing tires it's a whole new ball game. For the the time being I would extend your bumpstops to keep from doing anymore damage.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/