Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fender cutouts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1979Jimmy, Nov 24, 2001.

1. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Im getting some rubbing when my suspensions flexes enough. I dont want to lift my truck any more and i really hate the idea of a body lift. Does anyone know a reputable shop somewhere in the bay area that will cut out my fenders for me?

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. Locked front and back.

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am in the same situation.

Since I am in the Bay Area also, please keep me informed.
    I may end up doing my own. I have the tools but need to practice on something first.

Dave

Horn Broken... Watch For Finger.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics</a>

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have a sawzall.. Bring it on.........LOL

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

4. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

hey dan maybe you can give me an imprompto lesson at hollister sometime, id rather have a shop do it cause this is my daily driver and not just a trail truck

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. Locked front and back.

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I know.. I was just kidding.. I don't have the balls to do it to my own.... Although I did bend up my fender a little more this weekend...Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

6. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

my 35s arent suposed to fit in my wheel well but somehow yesterday i made them, no signifigant damage though

7. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i cut all of mine for the first time. its not to nerve racking once you get into it. also have a grinder to fix any mistakes and straiten out the lines is a life saver.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradoK5.com/gallery/Pauls89K5>http://coloradoK5.com/gallery/Pauls89K5</a>

8. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

One of my friends got me a great one time deal on 36" TSL's so it was now or never. I picked up one of those air powered sawzalls at Home Depot and a bunch of new blades for my regular sawzall (good ones, not the cheap flimsy ones). I marked the lines out like they did for Steve's, with wire and a marker, and just started cutting. Once I got into it, I realized that there's nothing to it, it's really easy. I started at the bottom and cut up till I got to the inner fender, then took my time cutting from the top down, working around the inner fender. That's where the air saw came in handy, cause you can use it with one hand and still have a lot of control over it, it's not nearly as aggressive as a regular sawzall. I cut enough of the inside part of the fender out, so i could just bend the inner fender back and bolt it to the tub floor support. I didn't want to cut my inner fenders cause they're brand new and I spent a lot of time coating them with Herculiner before I put them in to protect them from stones and road salt in the winter. I also cut the front side of the fenders up even with the bottom of the core support, that looks kind of strange with the stock bumper on it but hopefully I'll be able to get my front bumper built in a few weeks. This is my daily driver too, so I was afraid of how the cut fenders were gonna look, but now that they're done, I really like it. I just cut the rear fenders to match last weekend and it looks really good now. All the cuts came out straight so all I had to do was use a file to take the sharp edges off and throw on a quick coat of paint to protect the bare metal from the good old western NY road salt that eats through brand new sheetmetal in one winter. Unfortunately the great payroll gods haven't allowed me to get a digital camera yet, but soon hopefully.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

9. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Its really not that hard, i thought it would be, thought i'd be at it all day, nope, got a real long blade on the sawzall, taped the fenders, drew lines unbolted the affected areas of the inner fender and let the chips fly, then i just bent the inner fender back, persueded it into place with a BFH and attached the bottom corner to the fender with an angle bracket from the Hardware store, sorry no pics, im digitally challenged, but i think it looks pretty good, i also chopped the front fangs off.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

10. daylton

daylton 1/2 ton status

well, my truck is a beater I bought it for 800 bondo and rust in quite a bit of places.
    im running stock height (for now) in process of saving for alcan 6" springs. but however. my buddy asked me if I wanted his 37's for 50 bucks... so obviously I forked the money up. and well started to cut all of my fenders out hee hee =) putting the 37's on a stock height is actually pretty darn good looking, I also cut into my bed for when I do lift it and be able to offroad it again I don't stuff them into the wheel well