Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fender cutting or higher lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GUMBY, Jun 15, 2001.

1. GUMBY

GUMBY Registered Member

I plan on putting 35" tires on my '88 sometime down the road. I wanted to put a 6" suspension lift but a friend recommended sticking with a 4" and trimming the fenders. I know that would lessen the top-heavy effect some and lessen the angle changes on the driveline but I don't want to cut the truck unless it would really be a justifiable mechanical difference from 4" to 6". I would like to hear what you guys think.

2. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Just go with the 6 incher. Not that much higher than 4. And when you decide that you REALLY want 36 or 38 inch tires it will make your life easier.....

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Well, I originally had the 4 inch w/ 35s. I trimmed lightly, just at the edge of the bottom of the fenders, but it was not enough once I had the swaybar disconnects and things, I always rubbed when flexing the suspension, especially when turning. So, I swapped to a 6 inch kit, and still rubbed just slightly when turning and flexing. So, no matter what, if you plan on really twisting it up with 35s, you are gonna have to trim! I recently did a hack job just like Steve Fox shows on the web site, and now no rubbing at all! I even plan on putting 38s in there and there will be plenty of room...

So, in my opinion, you could save some expense by doing the 4" with fender cutting. When I switched, I had to lower the t-case (ok, no expense if you just reverse the spacers), buy a drop drag link, get longer shocks. I also need to have my spring perches cut off and rewelded, they are in need of that now.

But saying that, I do like the extra couple of inches of height and a bit more room in the wheelwells. It's not THAT much more I guess...but be sure, if you plan on wheeling those 35s like they should be wheeled, you will be doing fender trimming!! And if you take your time, it comes out nice anyway! Most people don't notice mine until they look hard...

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If you go with 12.50" wide tires you can get away with 4 inches even with good flexing.. If you go with a wider tire, definately get a 6"..

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Get the 6" kit. Like everybody says, it will work better with ANY tire size and best of all.......it looks better with those 35's. [​IMG]

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>