Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fender cutting vs. more lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MUD JUNKIE, Dec 12, 2002.

1. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

who here would rather cut 6" off there fenders than lifting the rig higher to fit bigger meats on a already lifted truck? whats yalls opinion on this....myself just cut out about 6" of fender and bedsides so those 39's would fit /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. blueturd

blueturd Registered Member

Good question! I just bought a 72 and was thinking along the same lines. I'm planning on lifting it 4", but I'm not sure if that will give me enough to keep from dragging too bad. What are good ideas for wacking the front and rear frame horns?

The sawzall is your friend!

3. MUD JUNKIE

I cut mine out with a air powered cutoff wheel,which gave my arms a nice metal bath,but came out decent.there someone on here who has pics of the fender cutting method which I followed,and in the rear I just relocated the support bar on the bedsides so the panels arnt loose.ill get pics

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Depends on what your doing and what you like. You know I like mud, so height is a good thing to keep the carb out of the water. I personally wont cut anymore off PI than is already done, Ill go higher, but the cut look is cool.

Cutting and stuffing keeps the center of gravity low, minimizes driveline and steering issues, and works out cheaper.

So basicly its a matter of taste I guess. Everyone will have a different opinion.

5. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I say go for the fender trimming. I did it on mine to clear my 39.5s and to get rid of some extra rust. I used a disc grinder with a cutoff wheel, but an air powered reciprocating saw works even better. Fender trimming is the way to go. Its cheap and you shed some weight. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Will

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think it's all about what look you like. I find it hard to cut up good fenders, but sence mine have some rust that trimming will cure most of, I'll be trimming. Who cares I've already go a 6" suspension lift, and will be installing either 1" or 2" of body lift with new poly mounts. So trim the fenders /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif with some 35" or 36" tires ??? YEAP, WHY NOT. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Trimming is for posers that think they wanna be cool. I went for the pristine look with my truck, lifting enough to clear the tires the right way. Why cut off perfectly good sheetmetal??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I have to admit, your truck may be the most "pristine" K5 I've ever seen. No fender trimmin' there, no fenders, either!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

John

9. MUD JUNKIE

I've got 7" of total lift with about 6" cut away from the fenders,do you think 39.5"s would fit? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

That should be enough. I have a 6" lift on my blazer with 39.5" boggers and lots of trimming and they haven't hit YET. I've thought about going with a small body lift if they ever hit.

11. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    I have my 15/39.5's on a 4" lift,with alot of cutting.I really like the look and the fact that it's not "sky hi".If you have nice fenders,go out and buy some cheap fenders and cut "them" up!!Most people can not tell that I have cut my fenders(because I followed the stock fender lines)nor that I'm running 39's!!Cut 'em,alot less suspension headaches(longer shafts).Mike

12. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would rather cut the fenders /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif keep the center of gravity low /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif i am running 38in swamper's with only 2.5in lift /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif