Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fender cutting...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, Oct 25, 2001.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

is cutting into your truck's fenders scary? my sub is my daily driver so appearance matters. but should i try to cut my own fenders since i have no experience at it? i don't suppose 4x4 shops would do it for me, would they? or is there anyone in here that lives in las vegas, NV that has done their truck and would cut mine or atleast help me with my fenders. oh, last question, should i use a saws-all or die grinder?

donate to the "Build Scott's Suburban Foundation"
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift soon to be rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

If you want to drive out here to So Cal, I'll help you out[​IMG]. It is actually pretty easy. I wouldn't use the sawzall for this as you may get a ripple effect going. I used an angle grinder with a thin cutoff wheel and it came out pretty good. You can't even tell I did it unless you look closely. Check out my webshots page down below and look at the fender cutting album.

Esteban

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album>Members Ride Pics.</a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

3. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i used a swazall with no ripple effect , didnt look that bad , did Esteban?

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?
    81 K10 GOODYEAR 35" MTRS
    TH350 NP 208
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE :)

4. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

i used a swazall with no ripple effect , didnt look that bad , did it Esteban?

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?
    81 K10 GOODYEAR 35" MTRS
    TH350 NP 208
    O R D's axles

5. zcubed

zcubed Registered Member

I used a sawzall, and it worked great!!! I was surprised. This was the first time i had ever done "real" work on my rig by myself. I wasn't worried about looks, but it still came out good. I thought it would be a HUGE headache, but it was painless. But like I say, I wasn't concerned about looks (but it doesn't look bad). Bottom line: If I can do it, ANYBODY can do it! :) BTW, after I was done, the tires cleared the cuts beautifully, BUT the tires rubbed on the back of the inner fenderwell (on extreme turns). I just hammered 'em out a little, and it worked fine. 33/12.50/15 -- no lift

<font color=red>_____________________________________________________</font color=red>
    <font color=blue>I'm hooked on gin and tonics like yo mamma's hooked on phonics!</font color=blue>

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I plan to do mine soon. I don't have much choise since my tires rub both sides on the front fenders. I plan to use an airsaw to do them. Also I am going to bend a lip on the edges so it is a smooth surface instead of a sharp edge.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

7. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Andy your fenders look like crap!

J/K[​IMG] I actually don't remember.

Esteban

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album>Members Ride Pics.</a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

8. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

thanks i like em that way

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?
    81 K10 GOODYEAR 35" MTRS
    TH350 NP 208
    O R D's axles

9. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

good , i folded mine makes it look trick , this is since Esteban saw em

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?
    81 K10 GOODYEAR 35" MTRS
    TH350 NP 208
    O R D's axles

10. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

how do you go about folding the fenders back
    thanks
    jared

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I tried a pneumatic sawzall-like cutter and it didn't have the umpf to get through both the outer and inner fenders. I ended up using a die grinder to do the job. Cut through it like a hot knife through butter. But, it takes a lot more control to get a nice, clean cut from a die grinder than a sawzall. A tip, tape the area you plan to cut before cutting. It helps keep the cut clean.

If you are terribly concerned with appearance, do like I did, install some fender flares. That way the cuts are completely covered by the flares. Doesn't matter how bad your cutting jub is, you will never see the edge of the sheet metal!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

12. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Every time I break out the sawzall, my truck gets a chill...!!

But really, the best tricks I've learned are to "duct tape" over the cutting area to minimize that "wavy, shaky" effect, and to cut down on scratches to the sheet metal that's still there. Also make sure to wear hearing and (need I say) eye protection.

I've got a spare front clip off a '77 that really needs work - if you wanna practice on it!

Marv

13. zcubed

zcubed Registered Member

DITTO on that hearing. Man, it was loud!!!

<font color=red>_____________________________________________________</font color=red>
    <font color=blue>I'm hooked on gin and tonics like yo mamma's hooked on phonics!</font color=blue>

14. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

It is easy but any 4x4 shop will do them for you if you want.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

15. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

I used a sawzall, but on trustyk5's advise found a 4" grinder with a cutting wheel worked better. The cutting wheels cut through the sheet metal like a hot knife through butter. I also felt the wheel was much easier to controll. Just my 2 lincolns,

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

16. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

cutting stuff up rocks. I use a sawzall, cutoff wheel, jig saw, circular saw with abrasive blade, tin snips, whatever I can get away with!

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

17. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

cut about to where u want but leave about a 1/4 extra and then take a crescent wrench and a lil bit at a time start folding it under .

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?
    81 K10 GOODYEAR 35" MTRS
    TH350 NP 208
    O R D's axles

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Plasma cutter works too...but the grinder with a thin cut-off disc is my fave sheet metal hacking tool.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

19. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

When I cut mine I just left about a 1/2" more than where I wanted the edge. Then I took small sledge hammer and pounded the a lip back over so it lays flat against the inner fender.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

20. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

wow! thanks guys! lots of good ideas there. i think i'll use a die grinder, my friend has one it sounds easier. i like the idea of making a lip at the edge but i think i will go with flares. once again thanks alot!!

donate to the "Build Scott's Suburban Foundation"
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift soon to be rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241