Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fender Flare Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MrArmyAnt, Apr 24, 2006.

1. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    Is there a guide too how much you can cut out with each fender flare? or how does that work? Are some flares meant to be cut down? I like the way the bushwhackers look, how flexible are they? How much can you trim?

2. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

The cut out flares come with a template. If you're planning on getting some, you need to get them before you go to cutting.

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

my bushwacker cutouts didnt come with a template.. I just held the fender flare up and scored the fender using the flare as the template...
    now one bad thing... for cutout flares you cant cut much which sucks...

the front set allow for 1" on each side of fender to cut except top...
    the rear set allow for 2" on each side of fender to cut except top...

I used that to re-center my axle .. well the illussion...
    I put the fender flare on up against the back and cut 4" off the front so now my axle seems to be in the center... almost...

durable.. I havent broke mine yet but havent banged them around either...

I have just hacked my fender flares up as I can stuff the front tires up into the wheel well ... havent tried stuffing it since i got the front flares back on and hacked apart.... and dont have any hacked pics.. will post a few of what I have...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

will snap some pics of the hacked parts tonight if I get a chance...:wink1:

4. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

I had the cutout flares on another truck and liked the way they kept the truck legal(Maine law) in the front with a 10" wide rim but they will crack easy if you bash them with the tire.
    I tried to fiqure out a way to use them with major fender cutting that I have on my Blazer now so I could use the wide rims but just settled on 8" W rims.

This is just some thoughts that I had at the time but never followed thru,you can decide if its doable:
    The rear flares are longer which never made since to me because you need the clearance up front for steering but anyways how about using a rear set on the front.
    Use a set of flares meant for another application that has a bigger wheelwell,heres where my plan lost steam.I tried to get some info from Bushwacker on different applications/sizes etc. and all I got was part #s which didnt help at all.

I did see an older style Dodge 70s/80s with the cutouts and noticed that the front flares were really long with the front(under the marker light) going half way down.

Maybe a web search might bring up some pictures with different trucks with the cutouts to see if it might be possible to cross over,just the front would be needed.

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

cha tell me about it.. I have 12" wide rims....

but yeah I thought of using rear fender flares on the front of my truck... believe it would work too... can cut more and allow for better stuffing....:wink1:

I know a guy that filled his bushwackers with expandable window foam to make them more durable.. he laid his tahoe on its side in a revene and they didnt break.... had weight of truck on them...

I have them for legality issues too.. keep the tires in the wells....

[​IMG]

he made the 2 door version for a hoe fit his 4 door
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

That sounds like a good idea with the foam!