Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fender flares for my blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scottnj, May 14, 2003.

1. scottnj

scottnj 1/2 ton status

I am wanting to get a set of fender flares for the blazer.
    Any suggestions on what brand.
    Warn, EGR, Bushwacker, or Xenon. I cannot find many pictures of blazers with these installed. I found a pickup with the xenon, I like how it is molded around the front parking light. I have seen a small picture of the bushwacker but not sure how it looks at the parking light.
    Any help will be great, also wheres the best prices.

Scottnj@cfl.rr.com
    My blazer page

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i think a lot of off-roaders avoid em since they are prone to break when smacked on a big rock or tree...

j

3. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

I've got the Bushwacker cutout flares on my 88. They work great. They keep the mud off the windshield.
    [​IMG]

4. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I have bushwacker cut-outs, they didn't last very long. I don't know if the other companys mentioned are made out of rubber or something that gives but the bushwackers are thin plastic that is very brittle in the cold. I filled mine with foam-in-a-can to give a little strength after they broke and it might have helped if I did that to beguin with.

5. Blazn88

Blazn88 Registered Member

I have an '88 Jimmy with the Xenon flares. They look and work great and I haven't had any problems with them. I bought them through 4WheelParts.com for 373.25 out the door. I've had alot of compliments about them, even from people with the Bushwacker Cutouts. Sorry I don't have any pics, but I hope to soon... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I put mine on in March. You can see the installation pics at my web site. I've been wheeling with them 3 times now I think. Once was a moderate or better full weekend. I've been on some tight trails but regular branches just scratch them. I'm very aware of where they are on the truck so I make sure to avoid the larger trees. It takes some creative driving at times. I like them better than I liked my rust, and yes I know I need 35's now /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.
    [​IMG]

7. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

Check out the pics link in my signature. I got Bushwacker Cut-outs on my Burb.

To be honest though, I'd prolly try another brand if I had to do it again. As mentioned above, the Bushwackers are hard plastic and tend to crack. The sure look cool though. That's what got me hooked on them in the first place.

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

here is a pic of my cut out's. Yes they do break, but they can be repaired. pics

9. Blazn88

That's why I went with the Zenon flares. They're no supposed to crack or break, you don't have to cut or drill your sheetmetal, and they have the cutouts for your side markers.... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

10. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah but if you put larger tires on a K5 you need to cut the fenders or they'll hit.

11. Blazn88

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah but if you put larger tires on a K5 you need to cut the fenders or they'll hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on what size tire you go to. On my last K5 which was an '87, I had a 4" susp. lift with a 3" body lift and was running on 38x15.5x15 Super Swampers, and didn't hit. That's what I originally bought the flares for, but a collision with a drunk driver took care of that Blazer /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif.. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

If you need more tire clearance go w/ Bushwackers cutouts. If you just need more coverage go w/ the Xenon. They look good and no drilling needed.

LMC sells the Xenon flares and has a pretty sharp looking Blazer in the ad.

13. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    here is a pic of my cut out's. Yes they do break, but they can be repaired. pics

[/ QUOTE ]

So how do ya fix em?

14. scottnj

scottnj 1/2 ton status

So it looks like Bushwacker has a cracking problem, is this just because of the cold weather? I am in Central Florida so that wont be a problem. I also noticed that the bushwacker brand does not go around the front parking side light like xenon, and I think warn does that too see they have two different part numbers for 73 to 80 and the 81 to 91. Thanks for everyones feedback and help. I will probably go with either warn or xenon.

15. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So how do ya fix em?

[/ QUOTE ]

SO HOW DO YA FIX EM?