Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fender flares

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jayccb, Jul 12, 2004.

1. jayccb

jayccb Registered Member

I am having a problem with my 35" tires rubbing in the front so I am looking to cut out the front wheel wells. I looked into bushwacker cut out flares, but the instructions show cutting out the rear wells as well. I don't have a problem with clearance in the rear. Can I use these flares without cutting? Is there another brand that will allow me to cut the front but not the back?
    Any help is appreciated thanks,
    James /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Why not just cut the rears ??? If you like the way the bushwackers look, I'd go ahead and do it.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

As far as i know, Bushwhacker is the only company that has a flare that opens the wheel opening up. But they open it to 40" across, factory is 35" so I think putting them on the front then Not in the rear would look kinda...... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    But thats just me. I also think 35 in the cutout flares looks dumb. It usually doesn't take much trimming of the lower fenders to keep them from rubbing and many times, you won't even notice it if you do it right.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You have a 3" body lift? I guess it's normal for the 35's to be rubbing. I don't know if this is during wheeling or on the street, but the rubbing is 10x worse when you disconnect the front sway bar and head off road.

You should try trimming the front a little to see if you really need the cutout flares. I think they look a little silly until you get up into the 38-39.5" tire range. All you need is to trim the back of the front wheel opening back about to where the inner fender meets it. You probably just need to do the bottom and you won't even be able to tell the difference looking at it from the side.