Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fender Flares

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pomai, Jun 20, 2005.

1. pomai

pomai 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I need fender flares to pass a safty check. could you guys give me some advise or experiences with them. which are good or bad and why.
    Thanks very much in advance.
    Ed

2. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I just used some belting off a conveyer ,got it free and pop-riveted it to the inside of the fenders...It's flexable and cheep....If thats not what you need check out Bushwacker,they make a tough fender flare...:D

3. TravisO

TravisO 1/2 ton status

I'd go with a cheap home made rubber flare for tire coverage because the expensive Bushwackers are gonna get broke out on the trail. Go down to Home Depot and get some lawn edging stuff like this. It's UV resistant. Get the Professional grade stuff as Home Depots website says it is "20 year guaranteed against cracking, fading or decomposing." ;)
    [​IMG]
    Travis

4. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

The cut out flares do cover the tires but if you wheel with them they are plastic pos. I have replaced them once already. The last time I wheeled the burb they have split again I just took them off. We don't have laws in Alabama concerning fender flares :D Now I can cut the fenders even more because 16" of lift does not clear 44" boggers when wheeled :grin:

5. TravisO

TravisO 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I heard you need at lest two feet of lift to clear 44" boggers.
    Travis

6. tacoma

tacoma 1/2 ton status

BWWWWAAAHAHAHAH

my other truck will fit 46's with a springover and no other lift. WOOOO HA!

7. TravisO

TravisO 1/2 ton status

Really? My Blazer has a custom 17.5" lift and I rub with my 37" Boggers. Your's must be a factory 'High Boy.' I heard they can clear big tires pretty easy.

Does anybody else get the sarcastic tone here. Jeez. 37's with 3.25" lift (stupid saggy 4" springs).
    Travis

8. tacoma

tacoma 1/2 ton status

alright, I am only half kidding. My other truck is an M715. And there is some trimming that needs to be done in front. Check out my pal Tom's truck in the TTC, that's what it looks like.

I grew up in upstate NY, I like sarcasm LOL

all kidding aside it's interesting to see what clears and how. I am a big fan of the sawzall and cutoff wheel. Things seem to fit a little better that way but it's ugly LOL

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

put the landscaping edging on for the inspection, when you get home, remove it. stupid laws anyway.

j

10. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I second that idea ;)

I heard that WA use to be %80 of your tread was to be deflected, but I heard now its %100.... screw that

11. TravisO

TravisO 1/2 ton status

Oregon law says that the full width of the tire must be covered to the rear on all 4 tires using mud guards/fender flares to within 20" of the ground.

No forward facing lights higher than 54".

Tires and wheels must be DOT approved.

This is all from a sticky in the Pacific Forum here.

If anyone has updated info AND DOCUMENTED PROOF such as in the linked post then please post it.
    Travis

12. wildcatkit52

wildcatkit52 Registered Member

I have a set of NEW bushwackers that I decided not to use (was going to use due to large amounts of rust on 89 burb). Now I will be switching to a 91 rust free body with barn doors so the bushwackers can go...