Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fender Flares

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77JimmyMan, Mar 14, 2002.

1. 77JimmyMan

77JimmyMan Registered Member

Ive finaly decided to break down and buy some fender flares after talking to my friends uncle (hes a State Trooper here in MA). What kind do you guys suggest? At 4WheelParts.com, they carry Warn, Bushwacker, and Xenon. Bushwacker is the one you hear about the most of course (or i do atleast), and warn seems to be a little cheaper alternative. Then theres the Xenon which cost more than all of them, except the Bushwacker cut Outs that I dont need (no clearence issues here). Im personaly leaning towards the Xenon, lifetime warranty and a more aggresive look, VS the Warn and Bushwacker Extenda Fender. Any personal opinions and info on fit and such would be great (especialy if youve seen these in person, which for the most part I havent). Thanks Everyone

~Mark~

2. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I had a set of Xenons. They are by far the most durable, very thick hard rubber like material. They wont crack, if they do theres a lifetime warranty. They also seal around the outer edge w/ double sided tape, others like bushwackers use a rubber edge that rubs the paint off (a negative if you ever take them off) I took them off just because I like the clean lines of chevys with out them. I had bushwackers on my old ford, my tire tagged them a couple times and they cracked real easy. Hope that helps. and no I dont still have the xenons, I sold them

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Just an FYI - I have bushwacker cutouts. Mine cracked not too long ago. Think it was due to the frozen mud, maybe the weight and/or tire contact. But, bushwacker is replacing them free-of-charge (they also have a lifetime warranty).

4. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever found flares that you can cut and mold to your fender. If you do a good deal of fender trimming, most seem like they would come up short. ie. a non stock configuration. Just a thought as I too have been thinking about flares but have been holding off until after trimming.

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

http://coloradok5.com/gallery/album75/aab This is what mine look like. They are made from rubber convayor belt. They don't crack and will flex and pop right back to shape if I hit anything with them. Also they can be formed to any wheel well opening as long as there is a lip to attach them to. Best part is the price, free. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Hey wayne got any pics of the fronts close up like that?

Pics of any of the brands of flares would be cool. I'm thinking about them... I like the Xenon but think I would have to remove that turnsignal cause the cut around it isn't really to my liking

7. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Wayne:

Where can I find conveyor belt? Your flares look great. Are the mud-flaps part of the fender flares as well? You may be on to something here.

Where do they throw away old conveyor belts?
    Thanks.

8. Den

Den 1/2 ton status

Hey dave you have those headed my way yet??? What was the total????And I hope they look as good IRL as on the website!!!

9. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Like I said, I am away at school right now. I will get them boxed up this weekend and hopefully have them sent out on monday, and yes they look nice.

10. Den

Den 1/2 ton status

Cool man, not meaning to rush...... just excited that my truck is fiannaly comming together!!!!!

11. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Damn man those flares are nice as hell, i like em..... I had Bushwhackers and like most everyone else said mine got eaten up by tires, rocks, and when my truck rolled ( my fault there) flares dont look all that cool and when i get pulled over for mud flaps, they never say crap about not having flares, and i have 15.50 wide tires so they stick out quite a bit, i think if you have good flaps then your are legit, although i still dig Those flares that Chevblazin made, thats about the only way to go........

12. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Thank You. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif I got the belting at work and it was 12" wide. Not sure where to tell you to look for some though, best I can say is look around the internet or supply places for convayors. The flaps are not part of them. I had to put the flaps on after I got pulled over for not having them. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I got the flaps at Advance Auto for $9. They were the biggest ones they had.

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I think that is the best one I have of them. I will take some more soon and post them.

14. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Damn man those flares are nice as hell, i like em..... I had Bushwhackers and like most everyone else said mine got eaten up by tires, rocks, and when my truck rolled ( my fault there) flares dont look all that cool and when i get pulled over for mud flaps, they never say crap about not having flares, and i have 15.50 wide tires so they stick out quite a bit, i think if you have good flaps then your are legit, although i still dig Those flares that wayne made, thats about the only way to go........

15. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I was going to get cut outs but the price is unreal and the first thing they hit they are done. I have bent mine as far as I could and they go right back to shape like nothing ever touched them which is what I wanted. Another cool thing is you can make them as wide or as narrow as you need to.

16. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Wayne:

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look around. Yours look great and they look like they are can't be broken. Thanks again.