Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fender Hacking Method...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Confedneck79K30, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

So what's the cleanest/easiest way to hack the fenders? Die grinder with cutoff wheel? Sawzall? Jig Saw??

Just wondering for when i get the new cab and fenders on, so i can hack them up...

2. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I used an angle grinder with a cut off wheel, then followed it with a sanding wheel to clean up the burrs.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sawzall followed by angle grinder followed by flares. :D

4. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Ive always used sawzall :hack: . Tho my cousin recently acquired a plasma cutter :weld: . May try that next time.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

cut off wheel on a 4.5" grinder is way better than a sawzall with respect to straightness of cut. I pretty much use a cutoff wheel for all my steel cutting needs, save tube.

j

6. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

i think i may try the plasma cutter thing at one of my body shops, hadnt thought of that....ill practice of my old fenders with a grinder and cutoff wheel

7. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I used a plasma cutter. when I got done the edge looked like a saw blade. had to go over it with a grinder and my metal work sucks so it pretty much looked like hammered dog sh*t. next time Im gonna try a combination of a cutoff wheel and a sawzall so there is less touch up work with a grinder.

8. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

2.5" die grinder with cutting wheels. I used about 3 wheels per fender on the die grinder. I tried a sawzall but dulled 2 blades really fast??

9. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

A cutoff wheel is the best IMO. Plasma cutters burn paint for ~1/8" past the cut because they burn so hot. Anything will probably need some grinding to make it look smooth.

10. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

They wont be safe unless you fold the edge over. Ask me how I know (dont swing a sledge hamer at your leaf springs unless you fold the edges over:mad: All the way to the bone baby!

Picture 528.jpg

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

chainsaw followed by a jackhammer. :deal:

12. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

i bought 1 of these and love it....

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Compressors+%26+Air+Tools&pid=00919668000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Automotive+Air+Tools&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

it cuts thru sheetmetal like a hot knife thru butter, if you use a fine enuf blade and you can get rougher blades and i've cut 1/4'' with it.

its the only 1 i found that has a 10,000 stokes per minute, ingersol and all the other brand names ony have like a 5000 spm. i cut all kind of stuff with mine, couldn't live without, now that i've had it for 7-8 months, absolutley love it...

i have all types of blades with fine teeth per inch to rough blades for thicker stuff, and every tooth count between...i'll say again i love it, its just about put my cut off wheel out of business! right blade and it makes beautiful cuts!

13. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I found this method easier & cleaner than the sawzall too.

14. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

a cut off wheel on a grinder has the most control. I have used a sawzall, usually where you need to go through more then one layer of metal. the sawzall jumps around a little if the blade is dull or the metal is loose.

I agree with rolling the edge. if it doesn't cut you it could cut your tire.

15. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I used my die grinder with a cut off wheel, I got a very clean cut. Then I went back with a flapper wheel and cleaned up the burrs. The cuts I made were very straight and clean, couldnt be happier with the way my fenders have been chopped up. I also used the sawzall in some areas behind the front fenders but all of the "finish" cuts that you can see were done via die grinder.

16. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Plasma cutter. beautiful clean cut, Use a guide, like a piece of welding rod or something bent to the shape you want then just run the torch along it. Takes a few seconds each cut!

17. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Thats a really good idea if you are going to go the plasma route, it would be difficult to get a straight clean cut by trying to freehand it.

18. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i used sawsall then sanding wheel and it came out real nice

DSCN0548.JPG

19. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Plasma cutters ONLY make neat cut with a constant torch speed across the job. Freehand, you're never 'fluid' enough to keep up a constant speed but if you use a guide clamped or tacked to your job you can concentrate on keeping your hand moving smoothly (and you can cut amazingly fast through tin!).
    One of the best labour saving tools I've bought.....and I have a lot of tools!

20. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I used a sawsall the first time, but a 4.5" cutoff wheel the second, third, and fourth time...cutoff wheel all the way!