Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fender trim is for what size tire?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SlicksInRain, May 2, 2007.

1. SlicksInRain

SlicksInRain 1/2 ton status

I ran into someone that said if I put anything 35 inches or higher I need to trim the front fenders for full use of the steering. Now I said I wanted to jack it up 6 inches and punk 38.5s on there and was told it would still have to be cut. Is this true or false? I could have sworn I have seen some with 35s and up with no cutting and even 38s that are jacked up.

2. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I have six inches of lift and 35x14.5 tires. The first time I stuff a tire I sliced it. However, with a 35x12.5 tire you should be ok with 6 inches of lift.

3. mstockton

mstockton Registered Member

I've got 35x12.50x15 BFG Muds with brand new pro comp 6" lift, and i smashed my fenders (rear) first time out. Even that needs trimming, I also have diesel with blazer lift, heavier engine may make my truck sit lower, haven't had another for comparison.

-Martin

4. SlicksInRain

SlicksInRain 1/2 ton status

Was this inside the fender that needed trimming of the body part too.... the part with the paint. :o

5. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

People can give some dumb advice. Fender clearance is dependent on so many factors.. For example, 6" lift springs from company A might not ride the same as the worn out ones from company B. Rim width is a factor. Rim backspacing is a big factor. Brand and Model 35" tire of company A is much different than company B's 35" tire. Tire width is a factor. Tire wear is a factor (a brand new 44" bogger is significantly bigger than a well worn 44" bogger) Driving it on the street or flexing it out on rocks is a factor. Swaybar or no swaybar is a factor.. ect, ect, ect....

6. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Dont forget bumpstops. If you dont want it to rub...put in bigger bumpstops...it will limit your flex, but it will stop the rubbing. I, myself, had my fenders butchered so I could do fully flex without hearing the god awful sound of rubbing...good luck. (oh, 38s on a 6 inch lift)

7. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I have a superlift 6" lift on my 76 K5. Had 33" tires on like 3.5" BS wheels and the tips cut off the front fenders and would still rub pretty good. With or without the sway bar. See pic-

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2007