Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fender triming time!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun89, Oct 16, 2005.

1. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

i just picked up some 38.5x15 tires and im putting a 6" lift on, im not going for flexing beyond belief, and i no i have to trim a bit, any suggestions on how to keep it "stock" looking, how much to trim? anything? any tips will help a lot

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Take your time, make the curves smooth, mark it out beforehand, and don't use a sawzall except where absolutely neccessary. Mine are a little beyond stock looking so pictures probably woudn't be helpful. However, you are gonna have to take a decent amount off to clear those tires even without a really flexy rig.

EDIT: Shaun :doah: I forgot to reply to your e-mail, my measurements were: ~ 3" from door seam to edge of fender in front, and ~ 4.5" from door seam to edge of fender in back.

3. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

ok thanks a lot man :bow:

4. jolane

jolane 1/2 ton status

I have been thinking about trimming my fenders also. I am leaning towards doing a fender widening instead by cutting out and rewelding the factory fender lip. I figure I can section the lip to give me more height and width, and still make it look factory. This is on a decent looking burb, and I don't plan on rock crawling nor other extreme 4 wheeling.
    I don't know if you have the tools, skills, or desire, but this might be an option for you.
    Joshua

5. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

To keep some what of the original opening you can make this cheap little tool.
    [​IMG]

for however many inches bigger you want the opening to be just make a spacer that tall and tape it to the horizontal ruler. Then tape a pen or pencil and tape it to the spacer, and vert. ruler. ste the horizontal ruler flush with the opening and just trace around. I haven't tried it yet but i think it might work.. try it and let me know how it turns out..