Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fender Trimmin'

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by BurbLover, Nov 5, 2002.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Fender Trimmin\'

I'm thinking about trimming my fenders a bit, or as much as I can. Not sure which yet. Anyway, would you fine gent's (ladies too) please reply with some links to some good pictures of Burb's that have been trimmed around the edges. Thanks.
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Re: Fender Trimmin\'

yep right there in my sig, you can see mine. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Thanks!! Did you need to do any welding after you finished? I am trying to see what I can do for myself. I will most likely use a die grinder for everything as that is what I have access to easily. I can have a buddy weld it if necessary. Did you trim the rear, or just the front. I am also thinking of trimming my rear quarters up a bit.

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Just measure 6" back from the original fender opening and draw a line diagonaly up to where you want it to meet your original opening. I used a cutoff wheel.

What size tire do you plan on running and what size lift?

Here's a pic of mine.
    [​IMG]

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

By the looks of that pic, you need to think about trimming your rear wheel openings also. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I came close to rubbing fender but never touched. I'm not going to trim until I get bigger tires. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

hehe, fender triming... I've also trimmed mine. Oh wait, I butchered mine. Still have to do the rear.

8. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I cut mine on my Burb and had a bitch of a time doin it... it really pissed me off. I used a reciprocating saw and it was a pain in the ass. I didn't know wtf to do about all the brackets and stuff inside. I cut the piece off and ended up breaken all the blades I had and having to twist the support brackets off. We welded the inner and outta fenders back together to hold them together and melted the paint off. Ended up spray painting the exposed metal chevy blue, looks like $hit. Now I still have to do the other fender and hopefully it will go smoother but it probably wont because I still dont know what the hell I'm doing. It sounds real easy when you hear people talk about it but it was prety damn hard for me. But I am a dumbass so hopefully you will have better luck... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

P.S. If you have rear AC I dont think cutting away any of the inner fender on the passanger side is a good idea as there is two rubber AC hoses under near that go back to the rear.

9. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

My dilemma is I don't want to cut into the inner fender. I want to make sure junk doesn't get in there. I'm thinkin of running some duct tape from the top corner to the bottom point where the inner fender meets the outer. I'll probably do similar thing up front, taking into consideration the side running light.

10. muddysub

i just hit my inners back with a big F#*$ing hammer! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

11. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I just did a few little cuts with my cutoff wheel and a BFH I kept my inner fenderwheels. I was also trying to protect my rear AC. The blue lines are where I cut.
    [​IMG]

12. muddysub

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I was also trying to protect my rear AC.

[/ QUOTE ] oh is that where the rear a/c lines run? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif i'm gonna go do some inspecting.

13. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

This is what I have so far. Since I already smashed my fenders a bit, I would like a good measurement in cm from the fender/door seam forward. My plan is to make a straight line from that mark to the top rounded point of the existing fender. I'll tape it off &amp; cut with a cut off wheel. After that, I plan to take said BFH &amp; gently pound the inner back. (Actually, smash will be more like it.) I have an 88 &amp; I don't believe I have the brackets on the inner fender. I should have the AC lines on the passenger side though. QUESTIONS: Does anybody see problem(s) with my plan? Can someone give me a good measurement in cm from the door/fender seam? THANKS!!!

14. Smurfmobile85

Smurfmobile85 1/2 ton status

Measuring on the seam at the bottom, from the door edge of the fender forward, we have 12cm then angle up to the start of the original curve at the top. Hope that helps!

Deana

15. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

You should have the brackets. My '77 K5 did too. Just measure from the seam that matches the front of the door, foward 4"-6" and draw a line from there to where you want it to meet your fender opening.