Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fender trimming? any advise?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by patrickcampbell, Aug 26, 2003.

1. patrickcampbell

patrickcampbell Registered Member

I have a 7" lift front and 8" in the back and my 36x 12.5 tsl's are rubbing i figured i wouldnt need anymore lift so i need to trim the fenders. how is it done and and how do i cover up the cuts so it looks pretty? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I used a sawsall to make the rough cutts. Then a die grinder and sanding disc to get the corners I wanted and clean up the cut. You can see pictures of it in my webshots. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Your probably not gonna cut that much off, so I would go with I die grinder to trim the corners were your tire rubs. Happy cutting /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

4. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Why did they cut out that much of the inner fender well? What did they use to fill that back in, the pics were kinda unclear to me. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Kris

5. sapper

you cut the inner so the tire can flex all the inside to the floor, just gives more travel. This is what i did on my first round of cutting, i didnt do anything to "finish" all it does is hang there anyway. I have seen people fold the edge or weld on a 1/2" rod to put in another inner but you dont have to.

6. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

What kind of abuse does the front of the tub take without the inner fender there?

Kris

7. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Use a sawsall!

8. sapper

i guess that depends on how hard you drive it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, another option you have is to pull the inner fender out of the way, then do your cuts to the outer, after that beat the inner back to the outer and weld the seam

9. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

i started with a sawsall, then bought a jigsaw, and imediatly went back to the sawsall. its easy to make straight cuts. buy some shorter blade if you can find them its much easier to use a short blade when their is metal behind where you are cutting. i used a hand held grinder to take any burs off. and a B.F.H. to beat the inner fender up

10. sapper

i like to use a cutoff wheel, easier to control and gives a straight cut, BE CAREFULL if you cut the driver side inner fender, the e brake cable is back there, you need to find it and move it out of the way of where your cutting, have fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Sapper

I learned the hard way about the Ebrake.
    Almost got the through it before I realised...

having your head in the wheel well on a slight driveway wouldn't be good right about now.

It was a close one seriously... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Heres my cuts... http://community.webshots.com/album/35776205wJWTyp

12. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

I Agree on the cutoff wheel.

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Why did they cut out that much of the inner fender well? What did they use to fill that back in, the pics were kinda unclear to me. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Kris

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing 'filled' it back in, with 5" of lift and 40's it's common enough for the tire to rub the floorboard when it's stuffed. My fronts are trimmed that much, and I have the same lift and tire combo.

Here is my rear trim done with a 5" cut-off disc and a sharpie marker/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://community.webshots.com/photo/87068619/87068765hlNZzL

Rene

14. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

Everyone here has missed the obvious! Plasma Cutters are the way to go! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

16. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Everyone here has missed the obvious! Plasma Cutters are the way to go! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="green"> Yep, if you don't care about the paint then it is the way to go. Mine were done with a Plasma and they turned out real nice, just needed some cleaning up with a grinder afterwards. </font>