Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fender Trimming...Best Way?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by benbeaner, May 10, 2005.

1. benbeaner

benbeaner Newbie

I have a 74 Jimmy, I want to trim the fenders a significant amount to get rid of the rust and include a 4 in lift to fit 36in tires. Are there any suggestions on the best way to trim and how to stabilize the fenders after they have been trimmed. Any way to put a factory look back on the sheet metal?

2. la_blazer82

la_blazer82 1/2 ton status

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I used a sawzall and 4.5" grinder with cutoff wheel. Worked for me. There is no real reason to "stabilize" the fender post cut... it'll be fine even with a LOT of trimming, let alone what it will take to fit 36s with 4". As far as the adding the factory look, you'd prolly have to take it to a body shop for that. They could add the factory lip along the inner edge for ya. Personally, I just used a file, smoothed the edges out and painted them to prevent rust. Works for me, and I think it looks sexy too. :grin:

j

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The only way to get a real factory look back is to have a body shop roll the edge of the fender to make a lip after you're done. I used a 4.5" grinder and a sawzall and went ape****, but mine is strictly a trail truck.