Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fender Trimming Tips

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by FL84K5, Jun 14, 2002.

1. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Time to pull out the sawsall and do some major fender trimming. I'm thinking like the trimming done of the UAV. Does anyone have any tips to do this?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ear plugs and safety glasses...

I marked my cut line with some masking tape and a sharpie marker, then cut through the masking tape. You could also make up a cardboard template so both sides turn out the same /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

rene

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Buy a lot of saw blades. I went through a package of 15 Morse blades doing mine (well and my doors too...). I used the sawzall on the outer fender and bracing then a grinder on the inner fender, went through 3 grinding discs cutting the inner fender. I used a piece of cardboard and traced out the 1st side then copied it over so they are both at least close to being symmetrical. The tire clearance is amazing /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Also, make sure the back side is clear. Otherwise you'll kink the blades. When (not if) you kink them, they can be straightened repeatedly with a pair of vice grips, but eventually they will break. I've done this (see pic below - along with cutting the bed, rear frame, and allot more) and I still have not used up a pack of 5 Milwaukee blades. Also, don’t force it and you don’t need to run wide open all the time (assuming variable speed). You’ll feel a “sweet spot” where it doesn’t beat you to death but still cuts relatively quickly. Stay there and the blades will last much longer. Also, you don’t have to make all the cuts at once, let the blade cool, if it gets too hot you’ll loose teeth much faster. Not generally a problem on sheet metal but worth mentioning.
    [​IMG]
    You’ll also need other tools to do it right. Shears, cut-off wheels, grinder, etc. come in very handy.

And, yes, I’m currently enrolled in a 12 step program in order to get my addiction under control.

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

on the drivers side be carefull when cutting the inner fenders because the e brake is hiding back there. i did my inners with a cut off wheel and it worked great. i then cut the outers with a sawsall and wish i had used the cutoff wheel. they keep the lines real striaght. it took me about a hour with a angle grinder to get the waves out. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

6. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

7. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Yep, Ive got the fendercut page book marked. The pics wil come in realy handy when I'm marking where to cut.

8. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i used a craftsman cut off wheel...it worked soooo much better than a saw zall...just put a few layers of masking tape on where you are goin to cut then draw your line on the tape...then get to cuttin...worked great...when threw about 5 discs but love the way it turned out...need to trim just a little more but...go for it! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I agree with Chaz, the cutoff wheel is the way to go. I don't think I even went through an entire wheel cutting both sides. It makes smooth STRAIGHT cuts and leaves no waves or ripples. I've cut my fenders front and rear and my half doors with it and I couldn't imagine getting such good results with a saw-zall.

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

My vote is for the cut off wheel, too. I used a saws-all on the '80 (for the second go around) & a cut-off wheel on the '73. One more tip: buy a good die grinder not one of those cheep POS cut off tools. IR makes a good one but CP has one that is a lot nicer, about $90 either way. The rubber/plastic cover will keep your hand from freezing and the built in adjustable regulator is nice, too.

11. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i marked the line i wanted cut and used a plasma-cutter /forums/images/icons/smile.gif worked awesome and very fast /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

What are you using the cutoff whell attached to? Does anyone have a link with a pic so I know just what I'm looking for? Thanks

13. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Use a torch, and then grind it smooth with an angle grinder, though the best way would be to use a plasma cutter. If you don't have access to one try your local High School's metal shop, or any Junior College's in your area, most welding instructors are glad for any outside projects that their students can do.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd have to say of all the ways to cut fenders the torch would be my last choice. (no offense) Between burning the paint, warping the steel from the heat and possibly setting other stuff on fire I would avoid the torch. Then you need to grind it smooth. You may as well use the grinder right away to cut em and save some headaches...

Rene

15. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

heh i dont think id let a Class of Highschoolers put their hands on my truck and be told to trim my fenders back,

16. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

A torch is out of the question. I don't have access to one anyways. I'll either use a cutoff wheel or a swasall for the main trimming. I'll be sure to post some pics when its done.

17. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I've used the sawzal and cut-off wheel techniques. But for outer sheetmetal I prefer to use an air-saw with a small fine tooth blade. It is an even cleaner cut and leaves a finished edge. It is much harder to get a nice curve when cutting with the cut-off wheel. An air saw can get you in and around alot more things then the cut-off wheel (plus it is alot safer when it binds up compared to a cutt-off wheel)

18. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I used a cut off wheel for my 4 1/2" angle grinder it tore right thru it like butter, didnt chip the paint, or tear it up in any way, just a nice smooth cut. Good luck.

19. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

awhile ago, somebody had put in a post a link to his site which gave pretty detailed instructions on how he trimmed his fenders. It started out something like measuring 6 inches from the back of the fender and snapping a straight line from that point on the bottom of the fender to the apex of the curve at the back of the wheel well. It was alot more in depth than that. It is probably what i will do whith my new fenders.

20. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

I wouldnt mind seeing some detailed pictures of someone's fenders that have been trimmed. I can read and listen to people all day but for me to know what I am doing I need a pic. I am mainly wanting to see how the inside of the fenders are trimmed.