Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fender Trimming w/ 4" and 35's?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by clubba68, Aug 23, 2003.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Fender Trimming w/ 4\" and 35\'s?

I was just in the ORD section last night and was reading through some of the posts about what Stephen used to run and I was just wondering if I put 4" Tuff Country EZ Ride lift springs front and rear on my Blazer with 35x12.5x15 would I need to do any fender trimming or would I just need to cut off the fangs or what? Any help is much appreciated. Also, would it be beneficial to relocate the rear axle further to the rear by 1"-1.5" by using an add-a-leaf? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: Fender Trimming w/ 4\" and 35\'s?

You might be able to get away with just loosing the fangs in the front. Rubbing most other places in the front doesn't do as much damage as long as you arn't jumping it. In the back you will HAVE TO relocate the rear axle. My 33's rubbed with 4" of lift. The tire is just not centered from the factory. With a rear axle moved back by a 0-rate (and the extra 1" of lift) you shouldn't have to trim much if any in the rear.

3. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

How far back do you relocate it?

4. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I think if you play in the rocks you'd have to trim back the wheelwells of the front fender too. I have 6" Skyjackers and if I stuff my driver's side tire, the tire lugs will grab the inner fenderwell and pull it into the wheelwell (and slice the tires /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif)

5. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just took the 4" lift and 35x12.5x15 BFG All-Terrains off my Blazer - (well actually I took it off several months ago)

But I never had any problems rubbing on it - I took it in the Oregon Dunes, in mud, etc - don't ever remember rubbing any tires on the body - but that doesn't necessarily mean anything...

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You can take a look at my truck in my webshots in my sig. I moved my axle back 1". I am running 36" tires, about 3" of lift in the rear, and have trimmed the front of the rear quarter up to the strut rod. In the front I have only trimmed the fang and left the back stock (but I don't have much travel because of the Rancho springs up front...that will all soon change!).

7. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

The point about the Ranchos is a good one. I rubbed less on the front with the 4" Ranchos than with the 6" Skyjackers because of the stiffness and also the type of terrain I was running (more mud/trails than rocks/trails that I rub on now)

Wheel width and backspacing may also make a difference. Where some guys (like me) may catch the lip (I run 15x10s with 3.5" BS (I think)) other guys with the same lift may tuck the tire into the wheelwell.

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I would only move the rear back 1" to 1-1/2" as it rubs on the front bottom lip (on mine, it's only one side) the front will rub the rear inner fender but if your not hard on it no problem...

[​IMG]

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Mine definitely hit the back of the front wheelwell. Now I've got 6 + 3 and 38s and it does the same thing.

I've always run a swaybar too.

I'm gonna hack my fenders up probably next monday or so. We'll have to see how it turns out.

10. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Take some pics will ya? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I ran the 4" lift 35" BFGs and 10" wide rims for years and never had a huge rubbing issue.
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/48602866/49781166YxaOQs

I only recently cut the front fenders, the rears I trimmed the leading edge. If I were you I would run a 4" spring up front and any # of setups in the rear achiving 5-6" of hight to level out the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. kiley

kiley Registered Member

I've had mine (4in lift and 33's) at the Oregon Dunes too and have several stripes in the left rear tire from rubbing the front part of the fender.