Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fender trimming

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Clod_King, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

I want a more aggressive tire then the stock size michlens I have on my truck currently. I would like to run 34-35 inch tires if possible. I can't afford a lift and tires at the same time, so i would like tires first. I don't mind trimming my trucks fenders at all, but i don not know how much I would need to remove though. would it be alot of trimming to squeeze 34's with stock suspension? plus would the axles suffer from a alot of stress because of the increased tire size?

or should i kybosh the whole tire thing, and gear down the axles before I do anything? and put a locker in the rear. I mean i can get money fast, I just don't have it right this minute. gimme some suggestions.

2. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

34"s should be doable maybe 35''s if you dont flex out your suspension to much when wheeling. When I first got my k5 I trimed the fenders to fit a set of 33''-34'' buckshots, no lift and it seemed like I could have gone bigger. So long and so many mods ago.... As far as your axles they should be fine and I would wait untill after the tires to regear. O and a narrower tire will be easier to fit, so try 12.50s or less.

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I have 35's on a 2 1/2 lift and only needed to cut the front fenders in the rear closest to the door. I would imagine you could get away with similar results with a little more trimming. The rear could probably be left alone......

4. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

did you change the gear ratio in your axles? and how much trimming?

5. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

my first lift and tire combo was 2 1/2 front springs and add-a-leaves in the rear and 35x12.50 BFG's on stock 15x8 steel wheels, yes it rubbed at full flex and with the wheels turned it started rubbing at about 2/3's flex but it worked. I let the trail trim my fenders for me and rounded it out with a hammer later. The only place I rubbed was the back edge of the front fenders. I had them bent back about 1- 1 1/2 in. and it worked fine. I was running 3.73's in the axles with a 700R4 and a 241. Still had plenty of power except overdrive became about useless on the hwy unless it was downhill with a tailwind

6. wubba_65

wubba_65 Registered Member

I just put my 35x12.5x15 onto my stock alum rims (15x7). No lift, and only had to trim off 3/4" for the bottom 3" of the front fender (closest to the door). I haven't "really" flexed it out yet, but I did get up onto an 18" block without hitting. The only thing that happens is I rub against "something" at full crank on the wheel, even on level ground. I'm guessing it's the spring pack, but I haven't bothered to check. I just make sure not to do it unless I have to. I'm thinking a small (2") susp lift will solve all of my worries.

7. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

This pic shows where I cut the fenders in the front. The body is so trashed now you wouldn't be able to tell, plus I have cut a lot more off since this pic was taken a year ago. I have 3.73 gears. It's a dog on the roads, but fine on the trails with my SM465:D

That guy with his back to the camera on the hill is Muddysub (Scott). Met him last year and he roda along. Cool guy, need to get together with him again sometime:doah:

8. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about doing an ORD rear hanger, and a 4" lift out front. but that won't be for a little while, and I really don't want to be "stuck" with 31" tires until that time. my truck would perform alot better with a more aggresive tire, and I don't want to buy 33's and then 35's like 2 months later, waste of money. so if i get a set of 35's and a sawzall, would it work out alright?