Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fender trimming

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyfromhell, Mar 7, 2002.

1. chevyfromhell

chevyfromhell Newbie

Hey I was wandering if anyone knows how much I would have to trim to run 37's with a 4in lift? I have 35's right now on 10in rims and they don't rub at all.Anyone know?It is a 89 k5.

2. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

4" lift and 35s don't rub? Do you flex this thing? I know ftn96 has a 90 Jimmy with 4" and 36s. He has trimmed quite a bit. I have 6" lift and 33s and with the sway bar disconnects I rub pretty good even with mild trimming. It's a good question. How do you determine how much is enough. Take a little off then a little more and then a little more?

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Keep cutting until they fit

4. chevyfromhell

chevyfromhell Newbie

Everyone told me I couldn't run 35's without getting into the fenders but to my surprise they didn't. Hey Muddstud aren't you from memphis?

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have 2.5in lift fender trimming and am running 38x13x16in swampers

6. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Keep cutting until they fit

<hr></blockquote>

Well put. I stuffed 36's under my 4" and didnt rub but I did hack alil off to feel better about it. After the hack job I felt I could of stuffed 38's under and not worry about rub.

7. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I could run 36's no problem with the trim I have now.

8. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

The front fender wells is the place where you'll need to trim. I trimmed the front wells so that out side edge is flush with the inner fender well on the front and rear of the front wells. This was only on the bottom part of the well the top still has the original lines. The front of the front well no longer hangs past the bumper. I did not have to cut the inner wells.. I was running about 1" of lift with no rubbing and now I also have the 1" body lift. I have 35x12.50x15 BFG Mud Tires. It was much easier to do than I thought it would be, and I actually had so much fun doing it that I now am planning to cut some more in the rear for a little more clearance, and I am also planning to trim the bumper some like DJ in the white P/U that ran Upper Woodpecker with us had. You can one of the pics of his bumper here: http://www.rockmodified.com/trails/fullsizerev/640/640_upperwood18.jpg
    And my rig here, it's not close but you can see how my fender no longer hangs past the bumper.
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Greenblazer-AZs-Rig/aaa
    I did not trim the front of the rear fender wells at all, as it was not even close to rubbing. The rear of the rear well was the easy part, it was just a straight line, and that was for ground clearance not tire clearance.

9. Greenblazer-AZ

10. Greenblazer-AZ

11. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

http://coloradok5.com/albums/albup27/aaf.sized.jpg

Here is my set-up. I've got a total of 7 inches of lift(4in suspension, 2in body and 1in zero rates) and 37's. I took it out this weekend and had NO rubbing. I chopped off the front of the front fender cause when I had 33's and 4in it rubbed. Then I cut the back of the front fenders like Steve's. I measured 5in from the door and cut a straight line. On the rears, I moved my axle back an inch and cut off the rear of my rear fender. So far this has worked great with absolutly NO rubbing. I disconnect my swaybar and have long travel shocks so the don't bottom out either. I should have pictures coming soon of the blazer flexed out in it's current status. Stay tuned/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

12. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Just wanted to mention...

That is a really sharp looking truck.

Ken H.