Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fender trimming.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Feb 10, 2003.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I know, I know....I may get some feedback here, but I just gotta comment. Eventually it will get harder and harder to find nice K5s (1st and 2nd gen). Rust, accidents, junkyards and fender trimming . Yes i know, you can alway put new metal on it, but think down the line, say 15, 20 years from now, will it be that easy to get parts? I am not knocking anyone at all, to each his/her own. I know their are advantages, especially when wheeling hard, but perhaps their are ways around this.....like replacing the original metal(if it it) with aftermarket and then cutting? This way if you sell it you can put it back as it should be?

Am i crazy? remember I respect all that do this and its your k5 or truck. Just thought I would mention some thoughts. What ya think?

2. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

i see what your saying. why take the joy of having to cut the fenders away from the next owner. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

no. have you noticed how many 73-91 chevy trucks there are out in the world? that's like worrying that california is going to run out of crappy drivers. it just won't happen. i mean, we are talking about a production run into the MILLIONS, we are not talking about a '59 vette or a GT-40 or sumthing... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

In my area fender trimming is generally a byproduct of rust itself. Trimmed sheetmetal looks infinitely better than a rustbucket.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

so i guess since i am NEVER selling my 85, its "ok" for me to fender trim? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

You are not crazy, but I sure wouldn't put it back together. If I am ever forced to sell the Jimmy, I won't do it willingly, but I would part it out.

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

k5dan, I used to work in Rialto off of Merrill, at the Toys R Us warehouse. I sure miss the food, pick a part and socal lifestyle!

8. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

live right down the street from it. you need to get your a** back here leaving so cal shame on you /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifseriously hope you like it out there .need to tell me if you visit out here . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

"we are talking about a production run into the MILLIONS"

Even if every year was a peak year in sales(and it was not) there would only be a little over two million(best case scenario). This was not the case though....see below

In 1969, the International Scout and the Ford Bronco dominated the 4x4 SUV world, at least until GM let loose with a knockout punch called the K5 Blazer. The new vehicle had a base price of $2,852 and sported a fully removable hardtop (like its competitors), but the vehicle itself was larger and more powerful. Due in part to a stout drivetrain and a rugged look, the K5 Blazer nameplate quickly became synonymous with power and strength, and it soon became the truck that every cool kid wanted to own. These first-generation Blazers were produced from 1969 through 1972, and the yearly production numbers from this generation illustrate the vehicle’s rapid rise in popularity as they climbed from 4,935 units in 1969, to 11,257 units in 1970, to 17,220 units in 1971, to 44,266 units in 1972.
    The second-generation K5 Blazer was unveiled in 1973 and it was wider and longer than the first-generation K5, staying in production with minor styling changes until 1980. During this seven-year model run the truck underwent a series of changes in the driveline, including the addition of an optional 175hp 400ci engine and the replacement of the Dana 44 front axle with a GM 10-bolt. It also underwent a transition from a fully removable hardtop to steel half-cab with smaller removable fiberglass hardtop. Additionally, it was during the ’76-’77 model years that the highly collectible Blazer Chalet camper package was offered. The high point of Blazer production came in the 1979 model year, when consumers snapped up 90,987 K5s. The K5 Blazer was restyled again in 1981, and beginning with this model year, the infamous 6.2L diesel engine was one of the engines offered as an option to the standard 250ci six-cylinder engine. By the late ’80s, when the K5 got a new front clip, the Blazer name was muddled as the K5 Blazer was being referred to as the “big” Blazer in deference to the S-10 “little” Blazer. GM pulled the plug on the K5 Blazer in 1991, and the final year of Blazer production numbered only 7,332 units.

I count 77,678 of the first gen blazers.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well there is no reason to limit numbers to Blazers only. Countless more GMC and Chevy truck from 69-72 all ran the same front fenders. 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and one ton in 2WD as well as 4WD...then figure in the aftermarket and you'll see there isn't much chance of running out of parts anytime soon.

Rene

11. bigwishlist

bigwishlist Registered Member

My k5 had nice front fenders on it. (For Wisconsin) And when I planned on trimming them. I first went to the junkyard and picked up a set of fenders with rust spots where I planned on trimming anyway. Then sold my good shape ones And came out with $35.00 in my pocket. That way I didnt feel bad about cutting up a good set of fenders.

12. yotapunk

yotapunk Registered Member

Well I just put on some 35's on my 90 blazer so I had to do a little bit of fender trimming even though I will be getting fiberglass fenders for it VERY soon. I definately like the look and ride with the 35's as opposed to the 31's that it had. If all I have to do is sacrafice a small part of my fender so be it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

13. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I have one of the biggest fenders hacks on this site and love it to death, but my truck is not even close to being stock anymore and it is not built to be a daily drive, it is a "HOTROD" of sorts. Right now I am in the process of buying an 89 K5 and have no intentions of doing any offroad mods to the truck at all, they will all be restoration mods.

14. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ass kissing] Your fenders weren't hacked. Its like saying that surgeons stab you when they operate. I dont know what you did to get there but your trim job is one of THE cleanest jobs I have seen. Its more of a work of art than anything. [/ass kissing] Wanna do mine for me? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Drive out to New Jersey and I will hook you up. I got a few people wanting my services soon, I might have to start charging!? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

i just went through like 3 sets of fenders before i cut them out, i have stock in aftermarket fenders, lol and its the best fix for rust, but if you stop and think ok 79 was the last year for that style fender unless you want the side marker in a diff place, but how long has that been, 24 years? give it another 20 and they will be making aftermarket fenders that are already cut out, and if they stop making them i guess ill have to go back to welding, lol make my own /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

17. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I like the look of trimmed fender's alot better than stock. Does that make me a bad person?? BTW I might have to trim some more when I get my 36's on /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif