Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fender Washers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by readymix, Apr 14, 2006.

1. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Where do they go?
    What size are they?

Here is the background to these questions. I got a 2WD sector shaft from David, (K10A'sBROinSLO) and installed the NWF crossover yesterday. Now it has the DW.
    I have adjusted the toe from about 0" up to just above 1/4" in with no real improvment.
    All TRE's, DLE's, Wheel Bearings.......are tight. The kingpins were rebuilt less than 5 months ago. The only wierd thing about my truck is that I have one 35" BFG MT and one 36" OZ on the front......No $$ for new tires yet.

I went to HD and bought some 1/2" fender washers like suggested here, but they seem to have too small a OD. It looks like they could slip out of the position I would want them to be in. If that makes any sense.

-what size OD should I get
    -Where are they installed in relation to all of the other kingpin parts?
    In between the bushing and retainer is where I would think.

2. NorthWestFab

NorthWestFab 1/2 ton status

For some it will happen with 35" tires, other will have 44's and no steering stabaizer and no wobble at all ... it's like witchcraft and voodoo.

You'll want to sandwich the washers between the top of the spring and bottom of the cap. There is basically two types, standard 'hardware store' fender washers (3/4" size), or what is called a 'spacer washer'. Spacer washers are usually availible in nominal sizes, about .025" Thick, where the hardware store washers I beleive are .125" thick.

You are probably going to end up with about 1/4" stack of washers from previous CK5 members experience.

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

OH...DUH...I was trying to put them in the wrong place then. The ones I bought are about 1/16" think but the OD looked to small to install anywhere. I will look again today.

BTW, your steering arm kicks major A$$. Not sure if I am imagining things or not, but it looks like your arm provides more spring to drag link clearance then the other arms out there.

4. NorthWestFab

NorthWestFab 1/2 ton status

Your not imagining things - these are the tallest solid one peice arms availible...period.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have three fender washers from Home depot (1/16" thick, 2" OD, 1/2" hole) under the drivers cap, and two under the passenger side. They fit perfectly inside the caps...

Oh yeah, I meant to remove one washer from the drivers side...but got lazy. It doesn't bind.

Rene

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Cool. Zero rates would fit in there with no issues at all.

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Well I got it fixed. Here is the soloution.

2 fender washers per side. This time I got the correct ones with the 2" OD.
    new steering damper.

It still has a wierd feeling to it but I have never driven it with crossover bofore so it could be that.

Thanks for all the help guys.