Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fenders, Spot Welding, Paint prep...yup.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ben B., Aug 7, 2006.

1. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Sep 1, 2005
    I'm in the process of stealing my dad's K5, seeing as mine is not running right now and is starting to need some body work.
    My dad's gonna get a more fuel efficient car with gas the way it is and surrender the K5 to me. She runs good, and has had a "floor restoration". Now all i wanna do is replace the fenders and get it painted, so here goes.

Fenders: Are they spot welded from the factory or just bolt on? Will this be an easy item to replace in my own garage?

Paint: I know you guys don't like this, but I wanna paint her black primer. She has paint on her now, and various spots of primer where rust has been removed. Can I just sand the existing paint down and primer over that?

What should I do for prep? After prep I'll find someone with a gun and get it sprayed.
  2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Jun 13, 2003
    Front fenders are bolted on.. Rear quarter panels are a combo of welds and bolts..

Primer is fine, just make sure it's an epoxy with a catalyst and not lacquer primer... Lacquer absorbs water..

You can prep by sanding with 180 grit, blow it off, then damp towel/dry towel with denatured alcohol..