Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ferrel pets

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GORRILLA, Oct 1, 2004.

1. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

we feed about 28 ferrel cats, several are very friendly cats, if I found out my neighbors where shooting at them its VERY hard to tell what would happen to them or their pets /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    Speaking of I have a cat missing
    [​IMG]
    this is smokey when he was about 2 months old, he's a little over a year old now. One of the coolest looking cats I've seen in a long while (he matched my truck, he was a silvery grey with under laying grey tiger stripes). Now if I found out that one of the neighbors shot him or hauled him off after we have had them all fixed and current shots paid for out of our pockets I'd be pissed /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. jjlaughner

PISSED! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[​IMG]

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

awwwh I love kittens /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my neighbors let their dogs run free. The damn things only go in their yard and my yard though!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The only reason I would mind is if they were crapping on my porch or something. They don't do that but I still mind cause I have a dog. She lives in a cage. She doesn't get along with any other dogs. If she spots one shes off like a shot and will take it down. I rarely let her out, leash or not, cause even if she is on a leash their dog comes after her and all she does on the leash is try to get to their dog. She knows just how to get the collar off her neck too(turns towards me holding the leash and slips her head right through it). When their dogs are not around I can let her run free and she does nothing but sniff around for a while and mark her territory(I make sure she does so in our yard not theirs). Their biggest dog(a black lab, which is bigger than my dog) always comes over and I chase it off. Damn thing snarls at me. I think it associates me with fights with my dog since I always end up breaking them up (only one with enough balls to get in the middle of too nasty fighting dogs). I just keep walking right at the damn thing and scare it away. If that damn thing EVER attacks me you better believe that thing won't live to see another day.

oh and we had an outdoor cat. Only cat we've ever had, I loved that thing. My mom is strongly allergic to dogs and cats thus the reason for the caged dog and the ferrel cat. Anyway my neighbors decided a ferrel cat wasn't a good thing, they took her and had her declawed(can't be an outside cat after that!!) and had her spayed. Wow that made me angry. Take my damn cat thats just messed up. Not to mention they had a bunch of outdoor cats themselves.

6. jjlaughner

what a bunch of stupid ****s! declawed an outside cat? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

How's it suppost to catch food, fight off other cats, dogs or other animals, climb trees to get away from afor-mentioned animals... some people need sterilized and beaten /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah the wife is some type of research scientist that works on animals. AS far as I know she supervises animal testing /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. 2 of her dogs are ones she rescued from it, though probably not till the testing was done, and who knows about the cats.

8. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

i had a friend that had a bobcat. he raised it from a kitten. he fed it boiled whole chickens. he didn't have any problems until it started getting into the neighbor's chicken coop. i don't really remember what happened to it after that though.

i only have problems of coyotes and foxes eating house pets.

9. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    he fed it boiled whole chickens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised that didn't kill it... fresh bones will break and can be eatin by animals, once the bones are cooked the bones become brittle and can no longer be eatin by animals because they will splinter and stick in their throats /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    I've seen people feed dogs defeathered deheaded raw chickens with no problems, thats why your not supposed to give pets cooked food on the bone /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    i only have problems of coyotes and foxes eating house pets.

[/ QUOTE ]
    this is why we wont give away any of our cats... if people want more cats they usually are replacing ones that have been eatin /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif We have a few family members wanting a few of them because coyotes ate their cats... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    all the cats at our house we have watched grow up from kittens, the old cats that had them have moved on... most of these cats probley can't hunt on their own because they've not had to /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

jj, you have a ZOO of cats at your house. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Guys, that pic above, THAT AIN'T ALL OF EM!!!!!!!

11. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

Well, not trying to start anything, but I wasn't refering to cats only. My problem is both cats and dogs.
    And, I wouldn't kill them, just make the point to stay away from my backyard.
    In reviewing your point of view I have thought of a way to
    persude them in a more humane way.
    I think I'll get a big ol tom turkey and let him run the open area of my backyard.
    That ought to convince my neighbors to build a fence.
    If you really want to take of these cats, build them a
    pen, with a yard. So you can truly take care of them and
    insure thier safety.
    But, how would honestly feel if someone was letting thier dogs run loose and they somewhat lessened your cat population? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Now apply that to the situation of someone trying to keep thier pets safe.

12. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Well JJ, there are two camps, the "Don't give em cooked chicken Camp" and the "It is OK CAMP" I am from the latter. I have 4 big dogs, the smallest is 50 lbs and the largest is closing on 200. He is a Fila Brasiliero, or Fila Mastiff. He eats three whole chicken quarters in the morning and thre at night. I dont feed him the breast only leg and thigh. He gets 3 cups of food with each meal. At night he also gets whatever leftovers we have from the table.
    I have never been one to feed my dogs real food, but when I had the oppertunity to get him I did as much research as I could. I talked to the three largest bredders here in the states and the only one in Brasil I could that spoke English/ As these are a very expensive and rare breed here, I wanted to make sure I was feeding him right. All of them said the same thing, Whole cooked chicken and meat , as much as he will take. He is 20 months old now, eats like a hoss and looks just amazing. I do not feed my others like I feed him as they have been raised on dog food only and their stonachs can't take it.

Now, to the subject at hand, I have a neighbor that lets his to little mutts run free. They come onto my property and my dogs go insane. I can't beging to tell you how unnervung it is to awoken to the bark of a 200LB dog that is really unhappy /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I have politely asked them to keep their dogs locked up and they have not. Next in line is as many calls to the local pound and PD for them. I can't bring myself to shootem, it just aint my style.

13. jjlaughner

so they eat cooked, harden bones? I've always heard that from people that cooked bones are bad. There three Mastiff breeders here in indiana and I have talked to several (not specifically about cooked food) be all have specified fresh uncooked chicken or red meat with bone. Several people (not these breeders) but other owners and mastiff sites have said not to give these big dogs the rib bones (from BBQ ribs) to chew on because of the fact they will splinter. Honestly your the first person thats told me cooked bones are ok (and thats cool I'm not argueing, just stating what I have heard and been told). I've been researching bull mastiffs for about three years (since I live at home with the parents and other pets I can't really have one here).

As far as the dogs go in the above comment, it seems everyone that moves out here (about a mile outside of town) decides its ok to buy a lab or retriever and let it run free since we live out of town and that just not true either. I have complained about the dogs chasing the cats and complained about the monsterous shits that are in my yard and if people say anything about the cats running through other peoples yards... Well they dont have king size sausage shits, they dont bark and they will avoid you as much as possible. I've had the neighbors dogs get within a few feet of me and start barking (in my yard mind you). I've seen the dogs chasing the cats across the neighborhood and we've had several kittens disappear after visits from these large dogs in our backyard. I dont shoot the dogs because I dont want people shooting the cats. I DO, run the dogs out the yard occationally (if a cat is cornered or up a tree and the dog pursists in barking) and if the owner is near or outside I will express my opinion that the dog be leashed in their yard or a fence installed.

As for the fence comment above... you show me a fence that will hold a cat contained in a yard and I will buy stock in the comapany. We have a cat inside that can open closed doors... Keep him in a yard? I highly doubt it. I'm not out to protect the cats otherwise they would all be in the house. There are larger preditors out here I know and in the past we have lost several either to neighbors, other animals or to the respitory infections these cats get (also distemper took out several). I protect them in my yard, if they leave my yard there's not much I can do, IF I found out someone was in humanly removing the cats from the area I would take action against them legally as would I'm sure others would me if I started shooting every dog that walked in my back yard. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

14. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, not trying to start anything, but I wasn't refering to cats only. My problem is both cats and dogs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I water gun or hose is hte best deterent for cats and a supersoaker with ammonia is the best deterant for dogs /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Have dogs or cats chewing in the trash? set the trash out and spray it with the clear ammonia and they wont touch it /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

15. jjlaughner

AKC [ QUOTE ]
    What Not To Feed

Never give your dog chocolate. It contains theobromine, a chemical that is toxic to dogs. Also, don’t feed your dogs bones that can splinter or that have sharp edges. Large, hard bones such as knuckle and marrow bones are fine, but parboil them to destroy harmful parasites, and take them away from your dog if he starts to actually eat the bone rather than just chew on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leg and thigh meat would be considered marrow bones so I guess I can see that. It also says parboil, so that just to heat to kill parasites, not actually cooked so the bone would not be affected and the meat would still be pink.

Do you have any pics? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

Okay Jeremiah,
    I didn't explain my self right when I suggested a "pen".
    I used to live next to a couple that has you beat hands down when it came to the number of cats.
    He built a "coop" if you will, including enought room for his 40 something cats.
    His cat house that the coop was tied to had HVAC and lights.
    All in all it was actually pretty cool.
    His coop was built with 1" square tubing and had differnt levels with stuff for the cats. The outside was covered in
    3/4 expanded metal, with a roof on it.
    Kinda like a great big hamster cage.
    As for the "Idea" that my red ryder bb gun is capable of doing any damage to these animals?
    Go spend $30 dollars and buy one at walmart, get some bb's,
    now get brave, shoot your self or a trusting friend at about 10'.
    Won't break the skin much less sting for more than a couple of minutes.
    As for a water gun, find me one that will shoot 30 yards.
    And I'll buy stock. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

17. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Okay Jeremiah,
    I didn't explain my self right

[/ QUOTE ]

What you didn't explain is why its a big deal to have a cat or dog walk through your back yard. Do you shoot at deer or squarrels that walk through your back yard or birds that fly over your house? Unless your out there night and day, shewing off cats your not doing any good, 75% of a cats activity is at night just like most other animals. Sound like you need to make a PEN around your house to keep wildlife out...

[ QUOTE ]
    As for a water gun, find me one that will shoot 30 yards.
    And I'll buy stock.

[/ QUOTE ]

30 yards? Your shooting cats 90 feet away? WHY? and how do you know your not hitting the head or soft tissues around the stomach or rectail areas? WHY would you need to shoot a animal 90feet? If you meant 30 FEET and not yards, you better buy stock in tyco toys or the hundreds of campanies that make hoses and spray nozzels.

Shooting a cat walking through your yard would be like shooting at little kids for running through your yard and playing /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

As far as the pen, these are not OUR aminals, they are wild and they all don't live here. Most visit around feeding time for 15minutes then they are gone. Less than 10 are here at any given time besides the two times a day we put food out. A pen, thats not having a pet even if they where OURS, thats keeping stocked animals, these cats here are FERREL in the true sence, they aren't really pets (you can only touch a few of them, only a couple actually pickup, they usually take off when you get near them and they take every chance to avoid people).
    The few we have bought inside are pets and are treated in that manner (they are kept inside). /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif We have brough in 7 cats and have placed all but 2 that we are giving away.

In any event of someone shooting a cat thats still animal cruelty in the true sence. Send me your addy and I'll have a couple guys from the ASPCA come visit ya and explain their position on this subject /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

If you want them gone get a live trap and give them to a shelter, the bad thing about shelters are that they are over run with animal and if a cat truely is farrel they will end up putting it to sleep because they can't place it (but that is one less animal reproducing which is a horrible way of looking at it, thats why we had these here fixed).
    Once the cat is out of your area, new ones move in, so it doesn't matter what you do as far as trapping and relocating them.

If they are the neighbors "PET" cat, dog, chicken, racoon whatever animal, sit down with them explain you dont want them in the yard and that you will contact animal control or live trap the animals yourself. Several of these ferral cats that we've had fixed have been moved or has disappeared and there's nothing we can do since they are not OURS and they are loose. We took it upon ourselves to have them fixed so we wouldn't have more.
    NOW, if, I found out that the neighbors where treating the animals in the area inhumanly I would contact the appropriate people as mentioned above.

I'm not attacking you personally it just erks me that there are so many people out there that think a BB flying through the air making contact with flesh at 300 feet per second doesn't hurt /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif and people make up reasons and excuses for shooting other peoples pets or true ferral aminals because [ QUOTE ]
    Won't break the skin much less sting for more than a couple of minutes.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif.

Here I'll fix it for ya
    [ QUOTE ]
    Go spend $30 dollars and go buy a live trap

[/ QUOTE ]

18. jjlaughner

there are also powders and plants that you can put around your property and house that will keep cats and dogs and other animals away...

19. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Or you can just walk out and gently boot it back where it's supposed to be

"Goodbye Mr. Kitty!"

20. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    gently

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif