Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

few 14bff questions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Apr 4, 2003.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok I have been posting a lot of questions about 14bff. I did a search but found varied info. First shock mounts does anuone have a pic of how the echibit shock mounts look installed. Second I want to take apart this 14bff how far can I break it down without having to re "set up" the gears I know that is $$$ the gears are good I just want to do new seals and bearings. Thanks.
    -Brian /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

as long as you dont touch the pinion, you should be fine.

3. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

You can break it down pretty far you can take everything out execpt for the pinion. Just remember how many turns you turned each one of those carrier nuts, and then just put them back where they were. That way you can change out the inner axle shaft seals and all that. Later
    -fLeXy K20

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    That way you can change out the inner axle shaft seals and all that. Later
    -fLeXy K20

[/ QUOTE ]

Inner axle shaft seals??? I didn't think FF's had any, and I sure didn't see any when I pulled everything out.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

There arent any inner axle shaft seals. If all your doing is a rebearing job heres what you have to do. Check the pattern and backlash before you pull it apart, see wheres it at. If all your doing is a rebearing you can just clean everything, put in the new bearings, races, crush sleeve and nut, and put it all together, you dont have to mess with pinion depth or anything. Set the backlash to whatever it was before you took it apart. Changing the crush sleeve is no big deal, just use a press to crush it. Its fairly easy, you should be able to do it in a few hours. Hope this helps!