Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Few Caddy 500 Motor Swap Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jrraw23, Jan 11, 2007.

1. jrraw23

jrraw23 Registered Member

Been doin some searches and noticing that everyone has been saying to just make your own motor mounts to put the caddy in. Does anyone have any pics of the mounts they made? I'm gonna pull my 1/2 ton drivetrain tommorow and want to get the mounts made sat and It'd be sweet if someone could show me some pics to go by.

Also If someone could confirm for me that I have to have a rear sump pan? My current motor has mid sump, but I was gonna make a new tubular crossmember to replace the factory one since the Previous Owner chopped it pretty good for some reason. If I make a new crossmember further up out of the way the mid sump pan shoul be fine shouldn't it?

Can I reuse my 350 radiator? If its gonna be borderline I have a taurus electric fan I could run in conjunction with the normal clutch style fan to push even more air to cool with it neccesary, would that work?

Ok now to keep bugging you guys ;) wondering what a few peices are:
    -on the very front/top of the motor next to a water fitting/under a bracket is a sending unit is that the temp sensor?
    -on the front of the driver head is a dual vacume port sensor looking thing, what is that and is it neccesary?
    -On the back of the driver head is another sending unit with a plug prong, what would that be?
    -I'm assuming the sending unit on the back/center of the motor block is the oil pressure sending unit?

Thanks in advance for the help guys, can't wait to crank this beast of a motor up :bow:

2. jrraw23

I guess it might help if I mention that I'm trying to swap it into an 85 K10 pickup :rolleyes:

Thanks

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

heres a pic of the motor mount that i baised mine off of im kinda pressed for time right at the moment but as soon as i get a second (later tonight i'll lokk up more of the pics from my project...
    [​IMG]

4. jrraw23

Preciate it man :waytogo:

I was thinkin more of putting the crossmember out in front of the sump thou, it looks like yours went under it?

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

6. jrraw23

Cool, thanks, what bushings did you use on those mounts you made?

7. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

8. jrraw23

Sweet I'll do some searching over there, thanks

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

10. jrraw23

Preciate it man, those must be very similar to the ones that the cadillac sites sell, I remember when iwas looking through some old posts they mentioned the adapters being made outta flat plate.

11. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is some pics of the plate method. For some reason i cant seam to find the pics of the ones i made my self but they were real simple. i'll keep looking. A couple other tid bits, You will need to cut a biy out of the"seam" on the firewall under the brake booster or the exhaust manifold will hit. I am running a mid sump pan with 4" lift and dont recomend it. You can get away with it was i have for the last 8 months or so but the axle will eventually smack it(i have a nice dent in my pan where the axle hit it after going over some bumps to fast) Also there is a heater hose outlet on the back of the passenger side head that you will have to remove and put in a 90* barbed fitting or the hose will be right against the firewall therefore kinking it. You can use the caddy P.S. pump with the trucks hoses. Thats all i can think of again for now.

12. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

sorry missed that Q. That is not actually my mount. Thats just what i modeled mine after. I have no crossmember between the two motor mounts untill i get my rear sump pan.

13. jrraw23

Thanks for the pics man, and also the tip about the heater hose, I was wondering if I was gonna have to do something about it or if it was gonna fit. I also am running 4" of lift so I guess I'll add a rear sump pan to my list of stuff I need. Just got the 1/2 ton drivetrain pulled today gonna start trying to make the new mounts tommorow, I got some flat 3/8 moly plate left over from another project I'm gonna chop up and use for my adapter mounts and model em after the flat plate method.

14. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

cool. The plate method is not the best IMO but it should probbly hold up. Good luck on gettin it all finished up.

15. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Here's mine. I run a mid sump. DISCLAIMER: This drivetrain is in a buggy based on a K5 frame, the motor was moved 5-6" back and a few inches down, and the axle was moved ~4" forward...and full hydro steering. Otherwise I'd think you might have problems with axle and crossover (if you've got it)

[​IMG]

16. jrraw23

Yea I've got crossover, I set the motor in place yesterday to test fit and I'm def gonna need a rear sump pan, otherwise the axle is gonna nail the pan under compresion.

17. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

When I put a Cad500 into my 76 K10, I bought motor moutd from the Cad500 company in Florida that was later bought by a company in Phoenix, AZ. The engine was a bolt in with the exception of some slight clearancing of the firewall with a BFH. I did have a 2" body on. I took the original Cad radiator and the Chevy radiator (4 core) to a radiator shop and had them build me a hybrid, cost $100. I scavenged a rear sump oil pan from another caddy at the junk yard. I went with the sm465 but an auto would be easy. A turbo 400 from a diesel Suburban 4x4 uses the BOP pattern bellhousing (I think) and should bolt right up.

FWIW, the Cad 472 engine is easier to source, has the rear sump and there is not that much difference in performance.

18. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I went with the sm465 but an auto would be easy. A turbo 400 from a diesel Suburban 4x4 uses the BOP pattern bellhousing (I think)

If only this were true. Same bellhousing as any chevy.

The way to get a bellhousing that will bolt right up is buy the caddy motor with the 400 it originally had behind it.

Pull the guts (read tailshaft however some of the other internals may be in better shape) from a 4x4 400 and install in the cadillac 400. Dump the tail shaft housing from the cadillace 400 and button up to a tcase.

19. jrraw23

I'm gonna go with a sm465/205 combo, will just get the jegs tranny adaptor and probably a flywheel from maximum torque specialties to hook it all up.

As far as the radiator, is the 350 radiator just not up to the task? Like I said I got a taurus electric fan I can run in conjunction with the engine clutch style fan to keep things cool if neccesary.

20. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

here are some pics of mine. i made them. the crossmember/mounts are 2" .120 wall DOM. the mounts are spring eye bushings. pan is rear sump eldo pan.[​IMG]

[​IMG]