few newbe questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by budweiser_man, Jun 21, 2005.

1. budweiser_man

budweiser_man Registered Member

Jun 15, 2005
    I just got my first k5 (first truck too) it is a '73 with a 350 on turbo 350 tranny, 205 transfer case.

questions I have
    on my transfer case selector from the top

L ock
    H ock

what does the ock stand for?

the truck also has a edelbrock quadajet carb, I think it is wearing out I am getting the worst gas milage. should I rebuild it or replace it? the truck also has headers and dual exhaust. stock intake manifold, stock air cleaner system, stock cam, 4 in lift and 33.
  2. jester

jester Registered Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Here you go

I have the exact same transfer case in my truck. The order of the gears goes (from top to bottom)

4 LOW LOC,
    4 LOW,
    4 HIGH,

First off, unlockable hubs on a full-time 4 wheel drive t-case is a bad idea, just keep them locked until you get a part time kit. 4 HIGH and 4 LO are normal 4 wheel drive in which in which you are in 4 wheel drive and then if the front or back slips it sends more power to the end slipping. If you have it in 4 LOC, LOW or HIGH, then a center diffierential (so to speak) in the t-case locks and the power is distributed evenly between the front and the back, so even if you whole back end is off the ground the front will still turn. That is why unlockable hubs are bad for it, because if you unlock the hubs the transfer case thinks the front is slipping and puts all of the power to the front so you have to leave the t-case in LOCK to be able to move which is bad on the t-case to be left in for too long. Hope this sheds some light on the whole thing. GOOD LUCK!
  3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Apr 20, 2004
    If that is the shift pattern you have, you don't have a 205 transfercase. That's the shift pattern for a 203.

A 203 is a fulltime 4wd transfer case. The L lock and H lock mean that you are locked into 4wd in either high or low transfer case gear.

In the other two positions H & L, the transfercase operates like an open differential in either high or low transfer case gear. Power goes to the axle that's slipping.

Don't expect much better than 12mpg for fuel mileage.