Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Few ??? on getting a cucv on the road again

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, Dec 16, 2005.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Hi, guys its been a while since i have been here. Anyway, time to put her back on the road. So far i am changing the fluids, just not the diffs. I will have my 14 and 60 ready soon i hope. Last thing done was a rebuilt pump. DB2 i think, been while since i looked. I have a block heater ready to go and i going to get one of the newer starters off ebay after i go to a all 12v system. What is the website that shows how to do that? What batteries should i go for? the ones in there are 5-6 years old. Here is what she really needs. Anyone, know of a way to bypass the system on cucvs for the gp?? mine has been alot of trouble as you my know. posted a lot on that. i was thinking a manual setup would be the best for me anyway.

As always thanks guys

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Fully manual glow plugs or just a manual assist? both are pretty easy to do, but better to start giving info to help you in the right direction.

3. 84CUCV

Fully manual glow plugs sound like the way to go for this truck. i have no other idea what to do with the way the military has it. thx mike

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

If you're replacing the starter (for a 12V), you're half way there. Wire the batteries parallel (instead of series). IIRC the power (24V) goes to the bus bar on the firewall. Remove/bypass the ballast resistors (behing the air cleaner on firewall). Replace glowplugs with a good 12V style. GM took 24V and reduced it to 12V 'cause of the high amp draw of the glow plugs. 24V is the standard for military vehicles (to slave "jump start" one another) and to power mil spec radios.

5. 84CUCV

I have no idea how to Wire the batteries parallel. I know very little about wiring.

6. rivermtnman

rivermtnman 1/2 ton status

Check out this:

www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/news_notes/nn10.pdf

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

8. 84CUCV

thanks for the link guys. So, can someone help me with my GP problem?? thanks mike

9. rivermtnman

NP Mike, thanks for making it "clicky" Rene, thought I did it right. Can't help with gp as I'm having trouble with mine right now also. I'll let you know what I do with mine, but am planning right now with staying 24 volts. SSDiesel is telling me I'm using the wrong gp's in it.

10. 84CUCV

I think mine are 9gs or something like that. I am going to get some from kennady diesel. They dont burn out or mushroom. please let me know if i am wrong.

I think i am going to 12v.

mike

11. rivermtnman

Well, I took 3 of 4 Kennedy's down with 2 startups. Apparently the 60g's take the overvoltage alot better than the kennedy's, since i've had 4 of them still in truck for over a year. And 3 Autolites lasted almost a year. But from what I'm being told I'm using the wrong plugs....

12. 84CUCV

really?? i thought Kennedy's where good plugs. Maybe 9gs would work for you??

13. rivermtnman

Remember SSDiesel is telling me I'm using 12v plugs in a 24v system, and that I'll burn them up instantly(which is what happened with the kennedy's). I just found in the military manual that this truck called for a 13g's, not sure what voltage their rated at. Also remember I may have some other problem that I've not found yet. I know I don't want to start it again until I figure it out, lol. It will probably snow 2' deep while its down. Won't that be just my luck.

14. 84CUCV

yea thats would suck. 13gs i think are 12v from what i remember.

15. rivermtnman

OK, after reading some older post from DieselDan, I know my system is working properly, because its supposed to have 24v until the solenoid kicks on and it drops to 12v. For my application, I'd advise to stay away from the kennedys, unless they sell something military specific. SSDiesel does, but I'm probably gonna stick with 13g's or maybe put 60g's back in it, since thats what came out of it. Just feel I shot $80 for kennedy's for 2 start ups for nothing. Expensive lesson. And I'm not 100% sure of agreeing with email answer I got back from SSDiesel. My truck is easier to start than my gassers at 0* (as long as I have 8 working glow plugs), and I have no block heater.

16. 84CUCV

Block heater is something i should do too. Forgot about that. Guess i will try some 60gs ans see how it goes. thx