Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Few questions.... First post.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jarhead, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Jarhead

Jarhead Newbie

Hello everyone! I have a few questions.

First and most important...

I have an 87 K5 4WD 350 5.7L
    Most often than not, when the rear wheels are spun it will pull to the right VERY bad. If you turn left while it's pulling the tires will make a "squalling" sound. Once I turn a hard right, a LOUD clunk will sound and everything is fine again. This wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't for the fact that it will occasionally do it for no apparent reason while traveling at 70mph down the freeway! Scary Feeling! If you’re not on top of it you'll sail across a lane in a heartbeat. Any Ideas? I have heard everything from rear diff - the rear spring pin sheared off - to one of the front hubs locking. This truck is ALL stock. Still has the stock shocks on it. 220k miles. Runs pretty good considering.
    First question.... Any ideas/suggestions on the above?

Second...
    I have a crack in the right exhaust manifold. I JB Welded it over a year ago, held great until I replaced plugs and put a K&N air filter in. I got on it a little hard and blew the JB Weld out. Replaced it and about a week later it blew out again. Now my dilemma. Should I go with headers, or stay with stock manifolds and just go with better exhaust and catalytic converter? A guy on another board said that headers for "most" people are too big a pain, with excessive heat, torqing head bolts, etc. Not to mention costs! I can't find used manifolds anywhere near my home, and one from the dealer (if I remember right from last year) is like $220! Anyway, any input would be appreciated!
    BTW at this point I don't do much off-roading, I need to replace a lot of stuff before I'm off-road ready... :(
    Glad I found this place, I frequent another board about ak47's and they are a wealth of information on ak’s, as this site seems to be on Blazers... Good to be here! :)

2. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard..
    FIrst.. with 220 k miles on it.. The truck will need a thorough going over.. If you have auto hubs, switch to manual..
    Drain all the fluids in the truck, pull all the covers and inspect the rear/front/tcase/transmission etc.. then refill with all new fluids..
    Then with the drivetrain being that old.. i'd upgrade the leaf springs and all the hardware.. LMC catalog has everything you'll need..
    As for header's.. you'll need the smog legal header's from edelbrock.. but I'm sure they'd be well worth it. The stock manifolds are too restrictive.
    Hope this helps... and get's you in the right direction..
    See ya around..

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

3. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with the front end on the Jimmy when I first got it, there were two problems and I fixed and it has not returned. First I went down and bought a set of Warn Premium Manual hubs, a definite must and a quick and easy install. Second, while I was doing the change out, the wheel bearing retainer nut and the hole kit and cabootle was loose, I re packed both bearings and re torqued the bearing nut and retainer and installed the new hubs. I have not had a problem since. Hope this helps and wwlcome to K5.

Gee your a fart smeller, Oh, I mean a Smart Feller!

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Welcome!
    Is your K5 equipped with auto hubs?
    The clunking when turning and enguaging at freeway speeds sounds like the auto hubs to me. I had similar problems with mine. They would engage and disengage whenever they felt like it. As you said "Scary feeling" at freeway speeds. I replaced them with manual hubs and sloved the problem. Its an easy job and many auto parts or 4x4 stores carry the manual hubs for about 60.00 Superwinch or Warm Preimums are good hubs.
    I have <a target="_blank" href=http://edelbrock.com/automotive/tes.html> Edelbrock Headers/ TES</a> on my 89. I like them. They build good low end power and torque. I have had them on for over two years with no leaks.or retorqueing problems. They hold up well to the rough off roading and towing I do. They still look almost new. They are a little expensive though and the spark plugs are harder to change than stock manifolds.
    They were an easy install and bolt right up th a stock exahust at the convertor.
    If you are going to use your K5 off road. you should change all the fluids as said in the other post and inspect the gears in the front and rear diffs.
    Also if you get headers you might want to consider replacing the catylitic convertor with a Catco high flow cat ($90.00) After 200k miles it is time.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins

5. Jarhead

Jarhead Newbie

Thanks everyone for your replies! I will for sure get the manual hubs, planned on doing it a long time ago but it got pushed aside. As far as the headers, I'm still not sure. This is what others have said : http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=49435

I'd like to see what yall think about what they are saying. Thanks again!