Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

few questions i got here...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Mar 4, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

first thing..my door lock is like frozen..i can get the key in so far and not any farther..any one had this prob and how did they fix it?

second thing, my turn signals dont work...none of them..but all my other lights work..could it be a fuse or something?

2. Chris87K5

Chris87K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    first thing..my door lock is like frozen..i can get the key in so far and not any farther..any one had this prob and how did they fix it?

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are "frozen" then just use a propane torch to thaw them out and spray a bunch of silicone inside after they are thawed. If it is seized up like from rust then you probably gotta take them apart.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i dunno i cant get my key in all the way..and there is some rust on the door but its not really bad..the other door is pretty nice and it has the same problem..i thought it was wierd that they both have the same problem.

4. Chris87K5

Chris87K5 1/2 ton status

spray some lube inside and put they key in and try to work it loose.

5. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Mine does that, I just push the door button one time, then the key turns. Guess it's a common GM thing.

6. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

You can get powered graphite lubricant for door locks, but if it's an older truck i'd just try WD-40 or something like that...

7. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

do the turn signal lights come on, but not flash when you move the turn signal switch up and down? if they do, then you just need a new flasher, it's located on your fuse box. most of them are silver and round. there should be two of them, one for your turn signal and one for your hazard.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

nope the flashers inside dont come on or tick either.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i dunno..these keys igot with this thing are three different keys...there should be a ignition key and a door key...at least i know thats how all these old truck are. they are all different...i got the ignition key...which works..then antoehr one...that doesnt..and then a door key..that wont go in the locks..but the ignition key does but it doesnt turn it. and i just locked my self out of the truck trying ot fix the locks! how the F am i ganna get it open now call allstate? lol..god damn..think im just ganna have some new locks put in it and let that be that!! i tyred spray..nothing works..it seems almost as if i dont have the right key...but ill never know..

10. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

You can pull the locks out and have a locksmith either make a key for the lock or "rekey" the lock. Should be about 10 bucks per lock to have them changed.

As for getting in your blazer all you need is a coat hanger. If that doesn't work all you need is a couple of screw drivers and pull one of the back windows in the hardtop. Those windows are the easiest to get out and back in without damage. AAA works too but what fun is that?

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i dont know how the take out the locks ive never looked at them befor from the inside of the door. and i have a truck so i cant go with the hard top idea..but i know what you mean there...i locked my self out of my blazer once and i did just that..lol.but i got my truck now..ill try a cout hanger..do i just feel for something down there and pull it up or what?

12. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I know it's a little late now, but if you have frozen locks and you're stuck somewhere without de-icer, you can heat up the key with a lighter, put it in and open the lock. If it doesn't work, keep trying, you'll eventually get it thawed. It does help to have a Leatherman, pair of pliers or leather gloves to do this with, since the key can get awfully hot.

Lock de-icer (mostly methyl hydrate I think) works well to clear them out after washing the truck or getting a lot of water in there.

13. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

If you have a rear sliding window those are pretty simple to pop open. Also the removing the window trick works on truck rear windows also. You could do the windshield too but that's a pain.

Once you get in the truck and pull the door panel off you'll see how the locks are held in. They aren't too hard to pull out. It's kind of tricky if you have fat fingers though /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

14. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

if nothing comes on at all then it is probably a fuse. or there is a wire off somewhere,

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea i think im just ganna switch the locks with the ones form my blazer..cuase those work. and i already got the door panals of those doors anyway..so looks like ill do that. i really only need the drivers side to work any how..i rarly ever use the pass side. no i dont have a slider window either..that came ot my mind as well...but i think im ganan put one in i like them a lot more. and yea ill check the fuse on the blinkers...is it labled? and how do i know if its good/bad?

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

17. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Can yall brief me on how to get in through the side sliders /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Im ignorant on that one /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i was just lucky and happen to leave it unlocked! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif