Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Few questions on dropping a 700R4

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84CUCV, Dec 27, 2006.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Well, the po got some water in there and killed it. So i will be dropping it in my driveway on my back, like alot of you i would think. This would be my first. So any tips or ??? i should know about? Can i reuse the TC or should i get a new one? the 700 going in is from a 88 3/4 ton 4x4 burban if it matters. as always thanks for the help

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

from the couple tranny's ive taken out and put back in, definitely have a jack that can get all the way up there, otherwise it will be a B!tch. also, its easier to control with the t-case off of it.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If it's a stock truck, and not too high I drop the tranny on my belly, I end up with some ATF on me but no biggie.
    If it's lifted and there is room, I use a jack but then you need some help to keep it balanced while you pull it off.
    Unless you have a motor cycle lift then it's easy to work with, or a tranny jack, better.

As for reusing the TC, I would use the one that comes with the new tranny, if the tranny is good, there is a good chance it's good.
    I wouldn't use a TC from a tranny that had water, you never know if it was ran with the water in it.
    :D

4. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

If you live near a Harbor Freight they sell a transmission adaptor that goes right on your floor jack - just pop off the shoe and pin it on. I bought one and they make it super easy to drop the tcase and tranny - has a couple of chain hooks to hold the tranny on while you lower it.

5. 84CUCV

OK good infomation. If it matters its a 83k5 with 4" lift and 2" body lift on 35" boggers. thx for the replys

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I got this one and it didn't fit properly on my Jack.
    :o
    I am working on making it work but it's almost easier to just get their tranny jack for the same price.
    :confused:

7. 84CUCV

ok thx

8. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's a heavy combo, even with the t-case off it'll be fun. Putting it back up without a jack will be even more fun. Make sure you support the back of the motor or you'll bust your dizzy and maybe your fan shroud.
    Get a jack from somewhere, it'll make life so much easier. Have plenty of sawdust or something to soak up all the fluids which WILL leak out....no matter how well you think it's drained.
    If it's got water in the trans (how?) there'll be water in the convertor so get it flushed or renewed, also flush out your cooler. It would be a good time to put a new filter in your replacement trans too.
    Good luck!

9. 84CUCV

the po did it in the woods in a big water hole that is all he said.

10. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you have a 1"x4" bolt and some 4x4" & 2x12" lumber and a good strap you can make one of these in about 5 mins and works. No way I would try it without floor jack.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Nice Shade Tree Engineering there! I did it with a 12" x 12" x2" and a rachet strap I'm definately going to use a bolt through the board to put it back in though:doah: Great idea on having the pump handle towards the front so as you pump the tranny actually moves closer to the engine.:bow::bow:

Oh, I separated the tranny from the T-Case as well for my wimpy azz:D

12. 84CUCV

Good stuff guys thanks for the help