Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

few questions on tuneless K5..

Discussion in 'Audio' started by MudNurI, May 25, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Getting the ol' girl ready for summer, and desperatly need some tunes....the only thing I am running into is the small opening for the stereo. I'm going to have the stereo installed, because the ball of wires under my dash is pretty intimidating...but I think they are going to have to cut my plastic thing..is this not a big deal and I'm making it one.??

1 more question..I want to put in a tape player, with a CD changer in the rear..I am not looking for tons of bass, big boomin sound system,,just a "budget" system that works and sounds good..doesn't have to win any competitions..what do you recommend, even if its not a specific component,,what's the brand I should be going with? Just a round about figure of what I can expect to pay. It's going to need rear speakers installed, stereo, and cd changer..the good thing is that there is not carpet for them to have to get under for wires..that will be going on after.
    I hope these question's aren't too vague,,thanks!
    Brandy

2. Racefreak

Racefreak Registered Member

What year is it? Does it have a shaft style (2 knob's) opening?

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Simplest advice is to buy the best quality head unit you can afford. That's the heart of the system and will determine the "quality" of the sound for everything you do from then on.

If you are planning to run a system with an external amp, look for a head unit with a high voltage output on the "preamp outs"....something like 4 volts or better would be ideal. If you are looking at a self-powered deck, it will be a little tougher because all the manufacturers really "LIE" about the power ratings on those.....I guess you really just need to stay with a brand-name deck and get some opinions from other folks here.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you want to save a few bucks, check out this web site. www.CMTTRADING.COM You can get some good deals. They carry some good equipment as well as the cheap crap. I've bought from CMT and was very happy with what I got at the price I paid.

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

its an 86, and yes it has the two openings for the knobs...

I have no idea what you guys are talking about- just so you know...I have never had a stereo put in/done before..we always just use what comes from the factory, but since this one came to me QUIET..I have to do something!

any advice on where to put the cd changer in the back?

Brandy

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd mount it in the console, or under one of the front seats.

7. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I mounted my changer in front of my center console. Easy access, don't have to keep opening the console, and not in the way of anything.