Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ff14b rear discs, on the cheap...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Aug 16, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ok i see threads all the time where peeps talk about using the $pendy elderado calipers etc to put discs in the rear and at the same time maintaining the e-brake.. and thats cool... but I am gonna use a HAD rear drive shaft parking break... so what are my options for calipers? after bb02 I wanna ditch these MONSTER ff14b drums. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

oh yeah, if it matters, I was gonna use misfit's disc break brackets...

J

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You can use front calipers from any 73-91 1/2 or 3/4 ton SFA fullsize chevy. </font color>

3. jekbrown

awesome, thanks!

J

4. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

but where do u get the rotors and the rest of the parts u need??

NITRO

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Rotors are just standard 3/4 ton front ones, brake lines some Wagner ones that are meant for the front of... something, I forget what right now, but you can do a search for them. Brackets from one of several guys on here, and that's pretty much it.</font color>

6. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

sweet, but i still dont get how the rotors bolt onto where the drums once were. o, do i hafta get a different prop. valve??

NITRO

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> There's apparantly a mod that you can do to either the MC or the prop valve, but nobody in here has mentioned it so I'm guessing it works fine. The rotor is held on with the wheel studs, just like it is in the front. </font color>

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Ok I just did this on mine. You take the hub/drum assembly off of the axel housing. Then you pound out all of the lug nuts. With all of the lug nuts off, the hub and the drum seperate. You then put the rotor where the drum used to be and pound the lug nuts back in. I bought everything for a '77 Chevy 3/4 ton front end including the brakelines. This is one of those rare jobs that is easier than it looks.

9. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yeah, what Sandman said...I just used 3/4 ton rotors and calipers and some flexible brake line to hook it all up...I also ended up have to get different lug bolts b/c I had a 3/4-ton 14bff with 11" brakes and the lugs weren't long enough with the rotor on...I just got some really long ones and had a friend turn them down on his lathe so the were the right length...I also had to get .11" taken off the head of the stud so it would fit in the recess that was on the rotors I got...I did nothing but bleed the brakes (no MC or prop. valve mods) and this this stops great...no complaints here...a super easy mod and relatively cheap...

Chris

10. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

11. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">So your going to save money by getting a high angle driveline and matching parking brake instead of just buying eldo calipers? I don't get it /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

12. jekbrown

I dont think I'll save any money, but I am running a HAD rear shaft that has the e-brake compatible (ie I can upgrade, add the ebrake) flange on it anyway so... why not. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif My current ebrake cables dont match up (after the axle swap) so I'd need the elderado cals, rotors, new e-brake lines, etc. Regular 3/4t front calipers are cheaper/easier to find. I can prolly get a pair of them from a yard dirt cheap. clean em up, throw in some new pads and go go go! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

J

13. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

alright, i get everything for the most part except where the caliper itself bolts onto.?.?.? i am gettin another whole complete 3/4ton front and rear tonite and needa get all this done soon

NITRO

14. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

thanx for the link.looks pretty simple and easy to do.then i wont have to take off the hubs to chage brake pads anymore. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif .i thought there was more involved in the swap.

15. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Now I understand. I thought you were buying a driveshaft and matching p brake so you didnt have to buy the calipers. I got a pair of Eldorado calipers from a junkyard i found on planetsalvage.com for $20, so you dont need to spend a lot on them. I could have put new seals in them and threw them on, but I would rather spend a little extra money and do stuff once than save a little and do it multiple times, so I got new ones (still not hooked up, I'm making my own driveline e brake soon).

16. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

alright, can i use the stock things that the calipers are mounted to on the d44?? can i just drill the 4 holes for the bolts for it tobolt onto?? im runnin 15" rims, can i grind these things down for those to work on it too?? what kinda spacer thing/how big do i need?? does n e one here sell em for super cheap?? thanx for all the help and sorry for askin so much, but i gotta have all this done by tuesday.
    o yea, n e one close that wants to help /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    NITRO

17. themule4x4

themule4x4 Newbie

i would like to know if misfit is still making those brackets. i'm not sure how to contact him to find out.my drums are gone it's time for discs. <font color="blue"> </font color> <font color="white"> </font color> <font color="black"> </font color> thanks

18. jekbrown

send him a PM... prolly the easiest way to do it if his disc brake bracket post isnt on the FS forum any more...

J

19. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

didnt know where to put this but, i just did the swap, on my blazer and i spent an hour at napa and found ones that i can screw in with out the big bulky block, they thread right into the caliper and come straight out with 8in of line, if anyone is interested i can get the part number they seem to work fine, i might try and get a pic up of it(no digital cam)
    Chris

20. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

DERBINATOR has the brackets posted for sale in the free classified section.