Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FGB52! (first generation b52!)

Discussion in 'Vendor Forum' started by cybrfire, Jan 28, 2007.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

FGB52 (FIRST GEN B52)

Another one for you first gen guys!

I must admit, the more I work on this truck the more I'm starting to become a first gen guy myself!

This is pretty much a bolt on deal. It is offered in two forms, Front hangers only and Front and rear of the spring together.

First off the front is much like our other B52 kit. The bracket itself bolts on in one place only. The rear most adjustment hole will get your 52's mounted, keep your tire centered in the wheel well and will require moving the frame eye hanger. Moving the spring all the way to the front will of course set your axle forward. It will also be possible at this location to use your existing frame eye hanger. In between holes, well you get the idea. More options are a good thing!

If you decide to keep your axle in its current location as shown below, We have the frame eye hanger kit for you. This is specific to the first gen. Uses existing holes as much as possible for easy installation. Here's the catch! If your running an automatic transmission, You will need to fab up a support rod for the shift linkage or go to a cable shift set up.

On to the photographs and please ask any questions you may have. It'll help me figure out what points I need to hit on when I post this on the website!

FGB52 hangers and all the backer plates.
    [​IMG]

FGB52 hanger mounted up spring in the rear most position to keep the axle in the stock location.

[​IMG]

Inside the frame rail, A shot of the backer plates. Not shown in the photo, we have included another bolt location further forward on the frame to add some additional support.
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of the frame eye hanger kit. It will include the frame eye hangers, fill plates for the hole left over, hardware and bushings, 9/16" bolts and the shackles themselves. The shackles are a bit different. For bolt head clearance we spaced the outboard shackle away from the frame .25". We don't want that shackle and those bolt heads arguing! This is a 6" shackle and the front end of the truck is bare frame with the engine and trans. No sheetmetal or cab so the angle is about perfect with some more weight on there.
    [​IMG]

inside the rail on the pass side. Hole not filled yet with the included fill plates.
    [​IMG]

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

very nice. I don't even own a first gen and I'm digging it. :thumb:

btw, whatdya have for front spring hangers for guys with no body left (ie don't need the body mount part of the bracketry)??? anything cool? :)

j

3. cybrfire

Take a look at Mikeydo5's rig. He's got some photos of the B52 without body mounts!

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

would it be feasable to make the bracketry 2" taller to assist in pinion angle? How did his pinion angle turn out?

when I placed my 52's in the front of my burb I used the 6" shackle and the stock upper frame shackle mount. in doing so it has the axle sitting back about 1". and my pinion points straight back.
    I'd like to gain 2" in the bracket to help out and keep the wheels centered in the wheel well. could it be done???

5. cybrfire

The pinion is pointed straight back. Could use a tapered shim. 4* It's kinda hard to say at this point though. The rear has not yet been lifted and the front is super light so the rear of the spring is gona come up some yet.

Your looking for 2" of height in the front? I'd be concerned with stress on the frame horn. A crossmember would be required at the very least.

6. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    damn it Kert...too bad i just finished setting up my front suspension this past weekend. hopefully it works out the way i did it, if not i'll have to be giving you a call. looks freakin' sweet.

7. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

YA BABY, YA :woot: :saweet: :woot: :saweet: :woot: !!!!

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Kert....... You gots da skillz!!!

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

He's already sent me the pics... very nice. Hopefully you remember how to make them. :thumb: :grin: It'll be awhile before I mess with the front end again though...

j

10. cybrfire

No problem there! Whenever your ready give me a shout!

Thanks guys, we do our best! All the comps are much appreciated!

11. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Looks good as always Kert

12. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

This setup looks awesome, hope to get one from you in the near future.

13. 1967k10

1967k10 1/2 ton status

Look nice :D .That didn't take long after I asked you about needing a frame for a jig :D . Too bad I'm tearing my 67' apart :o .I guess I'll have to build another 1st gen rig.

14. Mr-Jack

Mr-Jack 1/2 ton status

since there's no directions on where to place the eye hangers...how far back do i move it from the stock location to keep the wheels centered in the wheel well with 52" springs and keep a good shackle angle on my 67 gmc

15. ChrisPerry

ChrisPerry Dreaming of links Premium Member GMOTM Winner

In this photo, it looks like the bracket uses existing holes to align it. :dunno:

16. Mr-Jack

Mr-Jack 1/2 ton status

i could have assumed, i just wanted to verify before putting another 2" hole in my frame