Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FI Conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85Jimmy, Jan 23, 2002.

1. 85Jimmy

85Jimmy Registered Member

I have an 85 Jimmy. It has currently has a 305. I want to change it to either a 350, 383 or 400. My question is what type of fuel injection is better and which one would be easier to swap to. What would I need to do with the tranny. It is a th-700. Thanks!

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You'll here lots of different opinions. I think that a TBI system from a stock 87-91 350 CI will be fairly cheap (300-500) and will control your trany lockup.

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Oh man, this is why I posted a month ago about putting a section for FI stuff.............[​IMG]. I suggest doing a search...........reading the past couple of months posts............then read some more.............like on these sites

www.fuelinjection.com
    www.jagsthatrun.com
    <font color=blue> ONE TON</font color=blue> <font color=green>TPI'd</font color=green><font color=red> BEAST<font color=red>[/b]

4. azblazor

Frank,
    What kind of response did you get on a "EFI forum"? I think it would help people out a lot. BTW I want to do a TPI next, maybe on our 85 K5.
    Mark

<font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Mark, what I proposed in the 'Feedback' forum was a tech section about FI - links to ALL kinds of websites (I have about 25 good ones), basic info (like what type of pump is needed, etc.)...........left it up on the board for 8 days, got NO responses, said screw it and deleted it. Guess I should have put it on this board, but felt I was following the pseudo rules. I still think it is a very good idea, and with as many posts as there are about FI of all types it would be useful. Whether is is in a forum or just a tech section (article or whatever) is up in the air..............tho it would be nice to continually be able to add info/ideas/facts/findings, so maybe a forum.

Whatcha think?

ONE TON</font color=blue> <font color=green>TPI'd</font color=green><font color=red> BEAST<font color=red>

6. azblazor

I think its a great idea. I suggest emailing Steve. I like the idea of going to a certain location that interested people will answer question about EFI. A tech section or article, or some sort of FAQ is also a great idea. I would help if I could contribute anything. I have some Wiring diagnostic and wiring diagrams, and several books and factory manuals. Maybe we could list which people had what manuals for reference and would help people out? There is a lot of expertise on this site (I'm not including me as expertise).
    Mark

<font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by azblazor on 01/23/02 11:45 AM.</FONT></P>

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Only thing I would suggest is to actually have the info located on Steve's server. I know he runs into space issues, and *likely* those other sites aren't going anywhere, but its nice not to have to wade through a bunch of impertinent info, and keep on top of links going bad.

Its been my experience that most companies and individuals don't mind if you use their info, as long as they are given credit, or a link to their page is maintained.

Besides, there can be a lot of specific truck info, like wiring through the bulkhead connector, and working with existing wiring, that other places probably don't have, or if they do, its hard to find.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

9. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

im selling a tbi settup if youre interested. its up for sale in the FOR SALE forum. or send me a PM brain harness etc..