Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FI GM Coil question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am in the process of a TPI swap as some may know. Last night I ran into a problem. I only have half the connector to fit on the late model GM coil. It is the external kind that has 4 wires that clip in.

I have the 2 wire that clip on the left side of the plug (left side when the plug on top). I need to know where to get the other half of the plug and what those 2 wires are for. I really need to figure out what the 2 wires that plug in are more then anything. Thanks

Harley

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ugh, I should know this. But my coil is mounted pretty weird because of the Vortec heads, so I'm not sure which side you are looking at. Believe the plugs on mine are gray and black. (Yours seperate like that as well, correct?)

Lets see...Pink wire, white wire on one plug. Pink is ignition 12V. Think white on that one is the actual timing wire...thats the one with the connector you disconnect when timing.

The other plug, can't remember what it's for. One of the wires there should be tach though, IIRC. Can't find my F-body electrical manual, or I'd know this stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good donor for this stuff is Astro's, or any remote coil GM app. (basically all small cap distributors apparently, including '85 Monte SS for instance)

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you can take coil and wires and stuff from TBI 4.3L also, i have had a few opportunitites to take parts from TBI 4.3L vehicleslike vans and s-10s' that we were taking in to scrapper, but i didnt though, we have a whole load of chevy engines and parts right nowo, all i saved was one HEI and a couple fans and a smaller later style alternator,. alotof good going to shredder, heads blocks, cranks, p/s pumps,. all kinds

anyways,
    good luck

4. Hossbaby50

I have the half of the connector with the pink and white wire. I was told that the other connector would be tach and possbily 12V power, but maybe it is 12V ground if the pink is the 12V power.

Harley

5. frankin5

frankin5 Super Mall Crawler Premium Member

one side will have your 12 volt ing hot. the other side will have your tach lead and a lead will go to your distributer. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Hossbaby50

I know that the pink and white lead goes to the distributor. The side that I think is the tach lead will go there too? I don't have any connectors left on the disributor. That is why I thought it might be a 12V ground and tach.

So the tach lead has the tach output signal and what is the second wire in the connector?

Harley

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

ON the TBI 454, there is a Black connector and a grey connector. Each one has a white and pink lead. The one that has the 12V+ lead is the one that has the TACH signal lead too And it comes out of the wiring harness. The other connector plugs into the back of the dist. and also has a white and pink wire. This is also consistent with what I am seeing in the wiring diagram. So I assume you are missing the part of the connector that goes from the coil to the back of the dist? Or are you missing the connector that comes out of the wiring harness? The one that goes from the coil to the dist. is pretty universal between early model injected GM cars and trucks. The one on my truck I jacked from an old astrovan and it is the same as the one that was on my 350 and on my 454..

8. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

IN terms of a ground, the wiring diagram I have shows that the ignition module grounds itself to the distributor body and there are NO ground wires going to or from the dist. or coil.

So to clarify, of the 4 wires going to the TACH, ONE is 12V+, ONE is the TACH lead and the other two go to the back of the distributor.

The wires that go to the OTHER connector on the dist. (the 4pin connector) are Reference Low (Blk/Red), Bypass (Tan/Blk), Reference High (ppl/wht), EST (wht).

The BYPASS wire is the one that you unhook to set the BASE timing of the motor, on my motor is is just underneath the brake master cyl.

Harley, call me on my cell if you need me to look at my 454 for some wiring guidance...I won't be online for a week b/c I am going to london but you can call my this evening or tomorrow moring and I can help you

Chris

9. Hossbaby50

Ok, I just picked up the grey half of the connector from the junk yard.

I have the black half already. My black half has pink and white wire that connects to the distributor. The grey half has a Black/white wire and a Pink/black wire.

The pink/black wire is pretty heavy so I am thinking it is the 12V power correct. What is the black?

I also looked up the wiring in the manual and it shows this

Black: goes to distributor
    Pnk/blk: goes to distributor
    White: goes to distributor
    (forgot color): goes to ignition switch.

Then it also shows a Wht wire that says to instrument cluster.

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The white wire to the dash is the Tach signal wire.