Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FI Swaps

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am curious to see how many people here have actually swapped in an FI setup and what it is. Please vote for you area, and only vote if you swapped it in. (factory TBI setups don't count)

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yup i did a TPI swap and if i had to do it again i wouldn't.

i would go propane next time

this is a mostly trail rig and only see's 1-50 miles on the road a month. there way to much to go wrong with an FI system.

3. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I swapped TBI from an 88 gmc 1/2 ton. I swapped it onto a goodwrench crate motor and I had to wallow out the intake holes to get the angle right.

Without Mark's (AZblazor) help I would still be working on it right now. If you can have someone help you out and at least point out what goes where it is not too bad. It was seriously a NIGHT AND DAY difference to my rochester quadrajet carb. MMMMMMMMM throttle response! MMMMM climbability!
    I know someone with a tbi motor (75k) and a blown head gasket without damage to the motor. It has the complete harness and wiring and serp setup.
    $400 up here in prescott valley

4. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

ok, so I haven't really DONE it yet. THen headers should arrive tomorrow so I can finish. Doing a TPI with large tube runners, Superram base, factory roller cam conversion. Most of the swap is done, just been waithing on my headers from Dough Thorley for almost a month now. Yes, I know, it will be a more higr rpm powerband, but since my wheeling days are pretty limited at this time, I decided to build it to beat a few Mustangs on the road. Too bad the 1 ton running gear will add even more weight to the K5! I just hope it runs /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

TPI BABY!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I already installed TPI on my truck last winter. I am just trying to figure out what people have swapped. I am just curious as to what people are putting in. Someone was asking about an FI forum and I was curious to see if anyone was doing the harder swaps, the OBD II stuff, Vortech, LS6, LS1, LT1, etc. TPI was uncommon until not to long after I did mine. As I was doing mine and not to long after there was alot more people starting those swaps. I only know of 1 guy running Vortech on the site. It runs like a raped ape though.

I dearly love my TPI. I think it is one of the best mods I have done to the truck. It runs alot better, more MPG's, starts easier, etc. It looks bad ass too /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Harley

7. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

'98 Vortec 5.7l pretty easy over all.This went into '85 Jimmy. Had Jim's Performance do the harness. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Nice guy tell him what you are doing or want left in i.e. if you want FI only or w/ emmissions left in harness that is what I opted for or anything in between. Harness looks factory all leads are marked oil, water, and others. Only need 4 connections to hook it up. All others are not needed to make it work. But makes for added feature. All my factory gauges work w/ this set up. He is in Pa. Had Fast Chip do the 'puter. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif They will also do any mod you need i.e turn off VSS, emissions and others if needed. They are in Ks. Both had fast turn around 7-10 days. I Highly RECCOMEND Both companys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Hope this helps.
    Almost forgot if you get a complete donor eng. remove the spacers at the motor mounts. I ended R&R mmine several time till I figured this out. It will not let both mounts set in the craddle at the same time. If you have any ? P.M. me. Ed /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

How bout some pics of that bad boy in the engine bay /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Speed density TPI!

Absolutely loving fuel injection. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif You know! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

10. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I voted for TPI. I haven't done the swap yet but I'm gonna within the next year.

11. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Yeah I just finished my 2001 6.0/4l80e vorec swap. With Flowmasters and dual exhaust, it sounds very nice /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. I would definitely recommend it to anyone that loves wiring. Oh yeah, and you can also interchange any corvette or camaro parts onto 6.0 or 5.3 engines since they are kin to the ls1/ls6 engines. Phase 2 for my truck is to install the tricked out alluminum truck heads and the 04 z06 cam I have in the garage. will have pics soon.

Remington