Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fiberglass bedsides mock up...hmmm dzus, hoodpins or bolts...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by juanblzer, Mar 16, 2007.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

The new transformer... I haven't wheeled it in 2 years and now it's getting closer to completion...
    plan:
    removable fiberglass for extreme wheeling. 1985 GmC Jimmy Tub and a 74 blazer windshield frame. I plan on using 88-98 update kit for the front. I'm using my 85 blazer 4 linked chassis/coilovers and 11.16 xl military michelins.

I just picked up the glass bedsides from trailer products in Hemet, CA. They were about $377 for the set and will go nicely with the 88-98 update kit. Here are some pics of the mock up. Flair is about 6 inches.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I like those bedsides. Got any pics of the front clip? How are you going to attach them to the truck...quick pins or screws? Where did you get the front clip pieces and how much? I'd love to follow your design and run removable panels. Keep it up!

3. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

dzus fasteners all the way.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

just gonna get broken... sell 'em to someone down with bling before they get trashed!

j

5. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

broken... perhaps but I've done the whole "sheet metal mashed or cut off thing" and I've done the "replace the body panels with sheet metal thing"

This way I'm pretty low buck (not the highest priced fiberglass) and I'm not a tetanus shot waiting to happen.:D

Everyone is tapered sheetmetal these days. I like to drive my stuff on the street and on long trips. Having too much tire exposed can lead to the wrong kind of attention from the law. I've always loved prerunner and trophy trucks / truggys. While my truck is far from a setup prerunner or trophy truck. It can still resemble one and maybe do some fun fireroading.

Plus, the style points of having body panels (even fiberglass ones) are greater than a smashed up tin can with swampers. While that is fun, for me its a "been there done that".

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  6. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

im digggin it with a shovel:waytogo: