Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fiberglass body back from Line-x..UPDATED PICS!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k5blazer, Dec 21, 2004.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

UPDATE: Getting there, doors/tailgate assembled, roll cage on, dash/pedals/brakes/steering column all installed.

Here some bad pics of my US Body Source fiberglass body back from the line-x shop. I had the entire thing done, inside and out. BTW, it's GM indigo blue, but it's hard to tell in pictures.
    I'll take some better ones when it stops snowing and I can push it outside.
    After 4 years of cutting/drilling/fabbing/reinforcing/fitting/swearing/bending/beating on this body I can finally start final assembly!!!! 4 years down, xx to go....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

nice,....;)

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

holy crap, how much did that cost? I hope you have a friend working at a Line-X or something... lol! Wonder how much it weighs compared to a steel body. In any case, looks great, post more pics when ya can! :)

j

4. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

SWEET !

Tom

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

that looks sweet, we need more pics :thumb:

6. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

That is soooo cooool!!!!!:waytogo: :xmas:

7. 73k5blazer

Do you really want to know?
    Compared to a paint job, it was about the same.
    I wasn't looking for a show quality paint job, but anything above a maaco $500 special starting reaching the Line-x range. And I hate paint. It gets scratched, you have to maintain it. And this glass needed some fine body work (read $$$,because I've tried body prep for paint work, and I have no patience for it)to look decent, Line-x just covers all the up!

8. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

so did you have to make some type of mold for the fiberglass to get it to look like a balzer??
    That is awesome, I wonder what it weighs also:D

9. 73k5blazer

The body came from US Body Source in Florida. They make all kinds of fiberglass auto body parts.
    The price of glass seems to have gone up quite a bit since I bought thing. The Blazer tub is $1200 more than what I paid.
    I weighed my K5 before I dissassembled it, it was 5500 lbs. The glass body is significantly lighter (four people can pick it up easisy, it took 6 at a struggle to lift that metal tub just high enough to clear the chassis and set it down on the ground.
    But, add a roll-cage, air tank, 400 lbs of line-x (he said it took almost a whole 55 gallon barrel of material, I saw the barrels, they had 435 lbs stamped on each one). It's still less, the question is by how much. My friends and I have a pool on how much it will weight when done.
    My bet's on 5000 lbs.

10. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Looks good!

We'll have to hook up when you get it running! You dont live all that far from me.

11. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Thats awesome. I feel the same way about paint, but dont think I can "invest" that much into the K5 right now. Im gonna destroy the paint I have now, and then rhino line it. Mine will have to stay steel though b/c I have a clean rust free body. With body armor, probably weigh 6,500 to 7,000, but Im not that concerned about weight. Got good brakes. Nice job.

12. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

A couple of questions:

1. The doors don't have the full frame around the top and look like a 73-75 style. Are you planning on having a full removable top on it? Did you already cut it or did you Line-X it first, and then plan on cutting?
    2. How much of a pain was it doing all the holes? I notice on the website it says that you have to cut everything yourself.
    3. Are those doors from the same company or doors you had?
    4. Did you get the front clip from the same company?

I'm wondering if this might be an option for those of us in California that are going to be screwed with the new smog law going into effect in Jan. 05. All 76 and newer vehicles will have to be smogged every two years forever. No more rolling 30 yr. extension. I want a full cab enclosed rig so I bought a 76. I'm wondering if I bought the 76 style fiberglass body and put it on the 74 frame I have, whether or not I can register it as a 1974 Blazer, or perhaps a 74 specialty vehicle. Then I can do whatever I want to the engine. Might be worth looking into.

13. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

That is awesome! Maybe that is the way to go for my kids. You said 4 years??? Why so long? Super nice though.

14. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Nice, That is gonna be sweeeet when it's all done:pimp:

15. 73k5blazer

1. The doors are the 73'-'75 style. My Origican K5 is a 1973. Actually I had two '73's, both rusted beyond repair. I bought new steel doors, and cut them to match my old doors, before Line-x. (It's best to try to get everything you can possibly get cut/drilled done first, then Line-x.) I then cut out the OEM door reinforment, and carfullly welded it in place in the new doors.
    2. PITA. Hopfully it was all worth it. Every hole and opening has to be cut. It doesn't look like it, but theres alot of holes and openings on a body. ALOT! The roll cage supports were a big time consumer too.
    3. US Body makes fiberglass doors, but I looked at them and decided for steel doors because the glass ones you would have to cut out everything, and those doors have lots of little weld nuts in them, and a track, and I didn't think it possible to get a good working door (window roll-up, door locks..etc) with thier glass door.
    4. I did get the clip from US Body. It's thier 1 piece tilt front clip. I didn't take a pic of that yet.

Here in MI, there's no SMOG law anymore. They used to have one in tri-county Detroit area (which I'm not in anyway), but they did away with it. It was all corrupt anyhow.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  16. 73k5blazer

Time my friend, time. I started in '99, I think, then in 2000 I had a baby, and along with that, all my free time. I have more time now, that my daughter is 4!
    One benefit to taking so long is I'm able to spend more $$ on it, because the spending is spread out over time. Kinda like a really poor mans lay-a-way....
    There's only one big expense left for it, and that's the engine. I'm planning on the HT383 GM Crate motor.
    It should go alot faster now too that I don't have to think about how I'm gonna do everything. It should just be straight assembly, I already had all the big things (doors/gate/cip/dash/pedals/airbox/top/wipers/cage) assembled once for fitment.

17. spartan4x4

spartan4x4 Registered Member

18. 73k5blazer

He said it took about 6 8' truck beds of material. He charged me $2500. (I've been saving!) I did do everything, doors, gate, front clip, and body tub, topper and 3 or 4 smaller misc. pieces (trans hump, tailgate access panel..etc..), the tub was done inside and out, and the underside included, and I told him to cake it on the bottom just incase US BOdy didn't get all thier wood reinforcement encased in the fibeglass. The top was done inside and out too.

I really like it, I already banged a few parts into it, and you'd never know! I think it was a good choice.

19. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

cool!

why are the door tops cut off ?

NEVER MIND< I SEE NOW

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

still curious on a dollar figure for the Line-X. :)

Im going to have a metal s-10 cab done... lot less sq ft to cover, but Im just wonderin what kinda $ Im gonna be lookin at..

j