Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fiberglass body

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Sep 26, 2001.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any experience with a fiberglass K5 body?

Ken H.

'78 K5 in process

2. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I had a bad experience... I hurt my a$$ when I fell off the chair after seeing the price they wanted!! [​IMG]
    Actually, I know they are expensive, but look very cool if you can afford them.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

For rocks it would be bad because the rocks would destroy the fiberglass. But if you play in the mud or in the sand it would work great.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. four_by_ken

I am looking more for experiences and such. I have looked into both usbody source and classic fiberglass.

I have a few buddies with fiberglass Jeeps and one with a Bronco. I am looking into the lightweight race body from USbodysouce, I think.

I dont run any rocks, many trails, and lots of DEEP mud.

Anyone have anymore experience, not just opinions.
    But, thanks for the opinions.

Otherwise I am just going to make my own body out of sheet metal when the time comes. Probably look like [censored], but oh well. Function before looks!

Ken H.

'78 K5 in process

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

How much for that Bummer kit? I would be unique and you don't need a lift to fit your tires.

<font color=green>"Lack of Brains Hinders Research" -headline in the Columbus Dispatch</font color=green>

6. four_by_ken

Expensive. More than a nice Blazer tub from USbodysourse.

Bummer kits start at something like $7000 give or take. Not sure. I just saw how much and said forget it. Too much to beat on.

Ken H.

'78 K5 in process

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

What? Not bashing but why woudl you want a plastic body.... metal vs plastic.. metal wins... im happy i have a nice solid steel bumper ... my friend hit me whiel i was pulling him out of the dunes in his plastic mazda jap truck and he had a nice dent but i didnt have a scartch

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    Kn filter

What I need: 4.11 gears, Lim Slip Dif, Force2 Catback, rear springs , Throtle body spacer.

8. four_by_ken

You dont do mud bogs do you?

Weight makes you sink. No go.
    I know Blazers are heavy to start., but I want a Blazer again. I miss my old one. So, if I could build a lighter Blazer I would have the best of both worlds.

Ken H.

'78 K5 in process

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I guess Twisted hasn't seen one of our beloved Blazers after a long life in the Snow Belt. They suffer a cancerous disease known as RUST. Sure does make them lighter, just watch where you put your feet (Hey where's my jack it was here yesterday?) Fiberglass doesn't rust. Yes, yes fiberglass doesn't bend like metal when you rub up against some imobile object. But in defense of 'glass if you really whack it fiberglass does "telegaph" the damage through they rest of the body like metal either; ever wonder why your doors rub after front fender damage?

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!