Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fiberglass body

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 74k5inVA, Feb 19, 2002.

1. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

i know this has all been talked about before but i am hopeless when it comes to searching. i was contemplating replacing the entire body of my 74 with fiberglass body parts. has anyone done this. do you think that it would be strong enough without a hard top and no rollcage? it won't be used for heavy wheelin, just some sand and mud, no rocks for this one. if not strong enough to maintain shape w/o rollcage, will rollcage mess up the fiberglass and make it crack all to heck under flexing? thanks.

If it can't be broken then I haven't had it.
    '74K5 NP203/sm465 4"Lift 35"BFGs 350ci

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.usbody.com/WhereQualityComesFirst.htm> US Body </a>

There is lots of detailed info on this site...but be prepared, they're not cheap. They do look like they're built very well though.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

thanks rene

If it can't be broken then I haven't had it.
    '74K5 NP203/sm465 4"Lift 35"BFGs 350ci

4. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

I have heard good things about the Bummer kits. They are pretty kewl looking too. If only I had the money to go fiberglass.........
    Mike

The jeep eater ......[​IMG]

5. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Sorry looks like they aren't avaible anymore.......Guess they had a lawsuit with gm......Anyone know what happened?

The jeep eater ......[​IMG]

6. RockyRider13

RockyRider13 1/2 ton status

yea, do you have any experience with them? are they tough, do they look good, do they make funny noises? i would like to know about them

7. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I'm in the middle of doing it. I purchased a Full Glass tub, and Pre-Split tilt front clip from usbody source (www.usbody.com).
    I bought it three years ago and have been working on it ever since. I bought my complete set-up for $5600. They are a bit more now.
    I't s a pain in the ass. Everything is a muliple day chore. It took 3 8-hour days just to get the tailgate mounted. Another 3 days, a piece, for each door. (I used metal doors and metal tailgate..didnt't like the idea of trying to mount moving hardware inside them.). 1 day to install the wiper train, 8 days to mount the front clip and glass in and split the wheel wells. Another 2 days to install the front clip trim (grille, headlights..etc)6 days to cut out the metal dash and install it into the glass tub. 2 days to install the heater box. 4 days to install the steering column/brake booster. I've got 3days into seat mounting, so far, with probably another 3 or 4 to go.
    I customed desgined a roll cage and roll-cage supports (to the frame, where it must be for a glass body). I'm almost to the point where I can take it all apart now and paint it, then the final assembly fun begins. Wiring, misc. trim, weather strip. My favorite is going to be the windshield. The guys at usbody told me "just find an installer who carries a belt sander and can custom trim the glass, because the opening will need sanded and the glass trimmed to fit." Since when do glass installers carry belt sanders?
    I don't work on it all my spare time, but if you worked full time (40hrs a week), I would say give yourself at least several months. The guys at US body say they've done it in two weekends, but no roll cage, no final touches, just getting the body mounted and drivable.
    I'm going to be taking some pictures soon and posting them. I've also installed a Detroited 14Bff with disc brake conversion, ARB Dana44 front, rebuilt my 205T-case and SM465 Trans, 2" spring lift, sway bar dissconnect, sandblasted and painted every metal part being installed (frame, dash, reinforcments, ...etc..). Plan on having an On-board air (using the engine driven AC compressor converted for air)..and the list goes on. I hope to have my project done in about a year.
    It's a lot of work, a lot more than just replacing the metal with new metal. but it's fun. It will be even more fun when I can drive the thing again. I really miss my K5!
    BlazerMan

8. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

As far as strenght goes, I can't really tell you because I havn't yet driven it. It does look pretty tough. It's got wood reinforced floors (1x2 and 2x4 and 4x4) and a aluminum reinforced firewall and Front Body hinge pillars. The glass is think too and they used kevlar mat for the glass. I wouldn't run it without a cage though. One roll over and your head is gone, that windshield frame would snap instantly. (I connected the top of my windshield frame to the roll cage with some floating mounts).