Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fiberglass fenders on a 4x4, wierd or ok?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Dec 6, 2003.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

So in three months my nice new body is trashed /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

not a strait panel but the tail gate "not even on the truck"

so I can get some glass fenders and remove them when I wheel, but the problem is that the glass fenders use your exsisting metal for the tail lamp housing and support.

So would it look stupid? worth it? I would just pull the fenders when I wheel /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

For you it isn't worth it. You will destroy your glass fender faster then you destroied the steel ones. Sure you might take them off when you go wheeling, but you won't take them off when you get a wild hair to hit some more construction signs. Fiberglass doesn't respond well to impact. Get some more steel and run those till you bash them in and restart the process.

Harley

3. supersize75

well it sounded good

looks like I will keep replacing fenders "every 6 months" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

don't go buy some brand new fenders, find some used ones and if you have to buy a whole parts blazer for dirt cheap /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I do not think they would be too durable,Seems like they crack real easy..........

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I do not think they would be too durable,Seems like they crack real easy..........

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Yeah, thats a common myth. The ones you buy are not actually fiber glass, they are fiber resin and are actually very strong. I also like 75's idea of using glass and having it removable for tight trails. Some day my truck will have that feature. O yeah most fiberglass fenders can take a bush or rocks at close to a 100 mph and not break. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Don't know about the durability aspect, but you definately have to take a up close look at it. Most fiberglass that you see like you are talking about is actually pretty thick and heavy and this is the same stuff that is on most race rigs.

Now the stuff you see on like the CORR trucks and some of the mongo $$$$ desert teams is race glass and it's definately light weight and breaks apart easy, but it's the lightweight factor that is desirable for them.

In reality though, if I had a rig that was going to see big rocks and hard landings on said big rocks, I'd stay away from 'glass. I even wouldn't want the hassle of removing it before wheeling, it's funner to tear up the sheet metal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

i say pull all the fenders all togather /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I "was" gonna try to guild a cage the same lines as the body and skin the fenders and zues fasten them on. it would be a lot of work but i think it would be pretty cool. then i said to my self

"self----i don't need no stinkin fenders" and here i am now.

9. supersize75

my issue right now is I run my own business, peple who deal with me have already judged me if they see my truck first.

I am also considering building another 75, knoing what I know now from building one, I also have a 82 1 ton 4x4 long bed but I am stiping the 1 tons from it, and maby use whats left for the next project. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

what kind of business do u run?

lmk
    nick

11. supersize75

I have a small commercial cleaning business, I have 3 accounts currently and it pays for my toys and school while still having money to live some where and eat /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I start at 3:30 and home by 8 or 8:30 am, then the day is free /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It really is nice plus I am up for the day and I don't work weekends yet.

I worked for guy doing it off and on for 4 years, after 10 years he takes home over 100,000 after taxes and everything, he is not that aggressive too, I am trying really hard to gather more accounts and build my business. I also am not franchised so I see more of the dinaro /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Plus...it's mine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

sweet i got an idea for a business from my dad. Basicly Ill go around and tell dealerships how to make their cars better for sale and then do it for some money. Aperantly this guy my dad knows does it and easily pulls triple digits. Think I might try it as a part time thing. I need more money.

Nick