Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fiberglass hood opinions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, Oct 23, 2000.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

Just wondering about "Harwood" (sp?) fiberglass hoods..anyone ever used these or heard the yeas and neays????......thanks.

2. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

Anyone??????????

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I don't own a Harwood but I've heard good things about the fit and quality. I do own a fiberglass hood thats made by Unlimited Fiberglass. That hood is crap. It doesn't fit that well and has large gaps at the rear. A steel frame Harwood weighs almost as much as the stock hood. You might want to check out the steel hoods like what Summit sells.

Shawn
    87 K5
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy

4. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

Hey dose harwood make a steel cowl hood for a 73 blazer?

Well as it gose it gose and under it rolls heavey rubber bouncing on a head.
    (hey i'm a poet)

5. Shawn

Harwood only makes fiberglass hoods. I saw another brand in Summits catalog that made steel but I just looked it was only for the newer trucks and didn't cover any K5's (sorry). Someone may know where to get a steel cowl hood.

Shawn
    87 K5

6. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

www.classicindustries makes steel cowl hoods for every generation Chevrolet.. I'll get the model numbers and pricing for anyone that want's it.. I'm ordering the Steel cowl induction hood for mine soon..

It's better to have it than to need it, than to need it and not have it !!!!

7. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

REALLY yes i have been looking for one for a long time. please get me the info on a hood for a 73 blazer. are they any good? do they fit right? and they sterdy? do they bend like the old chevy hoods do?

Well as it gose it gose and under it rolls heavey rubber bouncing on a head.
    (hey i'm a poet)

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I got the new LMC catalog today and they had some cowl hoods. Not sure if steel or fiberglass though.

90K5

9. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status

Harwood is good, UP is....

CRAP! Sorry Shawn. What you are saying is the overwhelming majority of complaints. Harwood hoods I have seen aren't that heavy and their fit/finish is good. US Body also has fiberglass hoods.

Goodmark Industries has steel hoods. http://www.goodmarkindustries.com

Chris Lucas
    http://www.captkaoscustoms.com

10. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

Re: Harwood is good, UP is....

Goodmark is the company that makes the good steel cowl hoods. I have seen them in person and they seem to be of very good quality. They are not flimsy and I bet just as heavy as stock. Goodmark makes cowl hoods for all GM trucks from 67-01

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

11. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

Re: Harwood is good, UP is....

BTW, check out the goodmark distributors. I found one local and he told me his price was cheaper than the catalog. I think for mine the catalog says 399. He said he could give it to me for 375. I told him if I talked a friend into buying one could we get a better deal. He said if I bought two he would give them to me for 350 each. Deals can be made, don't overpay unless your loaded

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

12. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I ran two different fiberglass hoods. One was a Harwood on a 1986 IROC and the other was a Unlimited on the same vehicle. The Unlimited was crap after about a year, fit was poor and it took a lot of cleaning up to get it to look decent. The Harwood was much better and lasted until I sold the vehicle. The only problem I had with the Harwood was small stress cracks that are inevitable in any fiberglass product and rock chips that will take more than just paint. I am going with the all steel Goodmark hood and they make them for all years of the K5. Just got a call from them last week and mine is available. Waiting until after hunting season before I get it installed. One good benefit that the cowl induction hood provided on my IROC was lower under hood temperatures.

13. Shawn

Another person unhappy with Unlimited. I'm suprised those guys are still in business. When by body shop guy was prepping mine (Unlimited), he said it was like polishing a turd!

I wasn't sure about Harwoods weight but thats what I heard from the Syclone/Typhoon guys. I'm sure it's lighter than a stock metal hood.

Shawn
    87 K5

14. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

Im trying to decide wich to get...a cowl of some sort...wich I'm leaning more to the yes side...and weather or not to just go with steel...seems alittle more rigid...the one I have now has a crack and a bunch of rock dammage and dents...and its steel...couldnt imagine fiberglass being very sturdy...??? hmmmmm.......

15. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Try http://www.usbodysource.comThey make a ton of fiberglass hoods as well as on piece cowl-induction front ends. They make them for Blazers as well.

Dazed and Confused in a 74 Blazer

Zeppelin

16. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Shawn,
    I know you are dissatissifed with the Unlimited hood. But my questions is if you where to replace it, would you get another fiberglass one or switch to steel? Was wondering how the hood held up when you are in some major suspension flex? My concern would be the hood developing stress fractures from off road use. Any idea how much less the fiberglass hood weighs that a stock steel one? Thanks - Jay

17. Shawn

I'm not sure which one I would get if I had to do it over. I'd have to see the weight on a Harwood compared to a steel hood. I know the K5's already weigh plenty but anytime I can shed some weight, I'm all for it. I definitly wouldn't walk on any fiberglass hood though. The crappy Unlimited is actually pretty light and I haven't had any stress cracks from flex. You can see in the picture, the fiberglass hood isn't buckling or anything. Look closer at the bumper gaps on both sides and you can tell the whole body is flexing a little.

[​IMG]

Unlike the fenders, quarter panels, and doors the hood never sees any trees or rocks so I would say it's safe to off-road with a fiberglass hood.

Shawn
    87 K5