Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fiberglass or sheetmetal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Feb 20, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Well thinking about what I'm gonna skin the buggy with when I get to that point. I've seen custom fiberglass work on those ricer shows for their speaker boxes and all, doesn't look hard. Simple wire mesh backing formed to your shape, lay the fibgerglass mat, layer it up and let it harden. My only concern is, which do you think will be lighter, some good layered fiberglass or some pretty thin sheetmetal riveted on. With fibgerglass I could make fenders/hood one easily removed piece. Body flex shouldn't be much of an issue since its a tube chassis. I figure as long as fibgerglass isn't right in front of the tires mud and rock path(where it would be hit) it would hold up.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would do the sheetmetal thing. You're going to have flex, tube buggy or not, and it will fatigue and crack eventually.

3. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Sheet Metal, as it is easier to replace a panel than patch one!
    Bill

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I would do sheetmetal for the firewall, floor, skids. For the rest you could make Lexan body panels.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

floor will probably be steel grating, just for tread factor. Firewall will definetally be sheetmetal, as well as the tranny tunnel. I will probably bounce off some rocks and trees so sheet is much easier to replace. Hmmm. As far as lexan, it owuld be nice, but it would make me angry when it got muddy and I couldn't see through it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, even if you can never see through sheet.