Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fiberglass panels on the Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Anybody done massive fiberglass changes on the a Blazer? I'm talking the hood, fenders and maybe doors and anything else? I thinking about this to cut down on the weight. How much weight have people lost (your Blazer/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)? Thanks.

2. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

you can go to http://www.up22.com and get weight for fiberglass panels, dont know about the weight on steel, have you thought about makin your own, there are places that sell all the materials and give ya instructions, been a long time since i have messed with fiberglass, not too hard really /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

you could lose a few hundred pounds with using fiberglass.the bad part is if you like to run trails it will be easy to brush up against a tree and lose a fender.i like steel myself but it is twice as heavy as fiberglass depending on the thickness ofit

4. Sandman

Thanks for the link. The hood I think would be a good move since That weight is high up. the fender might help as well. Maybe next summer I'll look back into it.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd consider the hood and tailgate, they're both relatively safe on the trail. The doors I'd remove for trail. Fenders I dent up pretty regular so steel is best there for me anyways./forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Shawn has a fiberglass hood on the Potent Rodent and isn't too happy with the fit. I think it was great when new, but has warped with age. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif He's looking for a factory steel hood to replace it with....

7. Sandman

I actually plan on dumping the tailgate as well. The fenders I havent made up my mind yet. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Sandman

Ouch. How bad has it warped?

9. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

you cut your fenders up anyway /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifwhy not just do what the race car drivers do and get some 18 gauge and just make a few sets to have on hand /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

It's got a little bow to it. Didn't really help it when I slammed it on my ARB compressor with the fitting still attached. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The hood sucked when I first installed it. It had hairline cracks and needed alot of prep time just to look decent. Body lines still don't line up exactly. The hood is made by Unlimited Fiberglass. I will never buy another product from them again. Hoods like Harwood would be a better choice but usually costs more money. I was going back to a stock hood but I hate to spend the money on paint so I may just live with the crappy fiberglass hood for awhile.

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It doesn't line up with the tops of the fenders when it's closed. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif There's maybe a 1/2-3/4 inch gap there. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

12. Sandman

Ack. I guess you get what you pay for. I still might do it to help shave off the top heavy weight.

13. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I have a fiberglass cowl hood. I have had it for about 3-4 years and havent had a problem with it cracking or any other problems. I have it latched down with hood pins, this way I can take off the entire hood to work in the engine compartment, makes it alot easier when you can stand up in there /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, the hood only ways about 10 lbs, so it very light. Its probly taken about 30-40 lbs off of the truck weight when you consider all of the hood springs and latches that are now gone. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I thougth about doing fiberglass doors but Im not sure if I will or not.

14. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

15. Sandman

I like how your cage goes through the dash. Very nice! How much weight do you think you lost going to the glass panels?

16. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Not mine, that's Michael from Sherman TX. I just lust over it everyday.

Send him a PM. His truck is NICE!!!!!

Michael's info

17. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Somewhere I read that you can dump 1500 lbs. if you do the whole thing in fiber glass. Tub and all. If you were too hit a fender on the trail it might crack. Then you can drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it from continuing. Put on some aluminum stitching. No worse than a big dent. If the part is made right out of fiberglass I would doubt it would even crack. That stuff can be very strong. Like I said though if it is done right. I work with it every day. Try US body source. I hear they make really good parts. They have all kinds of interesting options. NO, I don't work for US body source. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There is no way the body of a K5 weighs 1500 lbs. I'd say it's 1000 lbs max and a lot of that would be going back on the fibreglass replacement. I'd say realistically you could shave off 500 lbs comparing apples to apples, that means tailgate goes back on doors go back on etc etc. The only way to drop 1500 lbs would be to remove the entire body and interior completely and replace it with nothing.

Rene

19. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I can shed 225# off mine just by climbing my fat tail out of the truck /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

20. Sandman

I understand that the guys that convert to S10 blazer bodies loose about a thousand pounds. There must be some weight there somewhere.