Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fiberglass springs

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Robin, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever tried custom-made fiberglass springs?
    There's a company (http://flex-a-form.com/web/default.asp) claiming to have the answer for all those saggin springs out there. $412 per axle...

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I am getting ready to put them on my Firebird. Its a drag car though. Newer Astro vans use fiberglass leaf springs. I have no idea how well they hold up to wheeling though.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

Hmmm diden't know that bout the astros, I'd guess it whould be the same on GMC Safari's then. My mom has a 2001 Safari, And we drove it on some washboard and dirt roads in Canyonlands Nat'l POark last summer. (I know I know not real wheeling but...) And they diden't bust then[​IMG]. I can't say I whould want them on a real wheeler though.

I am the hunter Who live's in the darkness, And grows through your fears...... And you are the hunted.

4. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

I'm a tad skeptical... First, their illogical jab in their ad about how steel springs are primitive and therefore bad leads me to believe that their springs really aren't much better than conventional springs. Steel springs are time-tested and brutally strong. They won't splinter or fracture if nailed by a rock. I doubt these fiberglass springs would last long or provide the articulation needed to survive offroad.

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

I e-mailed them askin how they would hold up to rock crawling...draggin accross rocks etc etc...here was there answer
    "Chaz,

Yes, That would be a concern, But we do have a few guys in WVA that do rock

climbing and haven't had any problems yet, what they did was on the bottom

of the spring, spray undercoating to pretect the spring and so far it seems

to be working.

If you have any other questions please call me at (864)261-7006.

Thanks, Robert"

i really dont think undercoating/bead liner would reall make a difference to a rock...its goint to do the damage either way...personaly i would just stick to the steel...everyone knows they work...who cares if they are a little heaver...they do the job so thats all that matters...if you want to drop 20 pounds from your truck...go on a diet! [​IMG]

<font color=green>Chaz</font color=green>

[​IMG]<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5>http://community.webshots.com/user/chaz88k5</a>[​IMG]

6. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

Ok, so I'm not a real wheeler, I'm just trying to get the best ride with the least amount of travel so that the 20min. commute to work is a little more enjoyable for my aging butt. Some of you young bucks haven't gotten to that point in your life yet, so I understand your comments.

Given the time I'm putting into the FOR I'm in the middle of right now, the thought of even getting dirt on my freshly painted frame, is difficult... why, why, why!!!

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

LOL! your aging butt huh? I'll bet you'd be 5 times as sore if you installed those new leafsprings yourself... then the uncomfortable ride of those metal leafs on the way to work...
    Maybe some shocks? I have Rancho RS9000's and you can adjust how firm or soft you want the ride with the 5 different settings.
    ...And I donno dude, I think I would buy a stepladder and still want to drive my K/5 when I'm 80.

[REAL MEN DON"T CARE ABOUT GAS MILEAGE OR RAPID TIRE WEAR!]
    Ryan B.

8. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

Yeah, my first step will be the RS9000's. The procomps I have on right now are a little bouncy and not enough absorbsion...

I'm trying to do what I can, so I can ride the beast when I'm 80.

9. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I would not want them on a four-wheeler that's going to see rock action. On a street-driven vehicle, they'd be just fine. I have considered the use of fiberglass leaves on my T/A, but can't justify the expense for a minimal performance gain.