Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fiberglass top advice

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by fishman72, Jul 28, 2005.

1. fishman72

fishman72 Registered Member

I just recently puchased 79 blazer and the fiberglass top needs to be painted. Was wondering about everyones experience in painting their tops, and what works the best! Thanks

Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  2. jroymcd

jroymcd Registered Member

+1 i wanted to know also

3. blackls1z

blackls1z Registered Member

I asked this very question a couple days ago on another board and got this response:

I'd sand it smooth with 180 on a DA and make sure she's scuffed really good at the edges and seams then apply two good coats of epoxy primer followed by a urethane or polyester primer surfacer, final sand, then paint. The epoxy will help to keep solvents from being absorbed by the old fiberglass top and also will provide excellent adhesion, the surfacer will give you some build to rid imperfections and also a sandable surface that will be ready for paint.

Colin

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

just a note on that advice... its very good and technically correct.. your advised to put a sealer primer over your initial epoxy primer, BUT it isn't absolutely nescesary... most will just throw 3, 4 coats of a good high-build epoxy primer on, sand with 320, 400 and paint.. saves ya a couple steps...

an important rule of bodywork is, tho you can hide, fill, etc imperfections with the following coats, you generally want your primer thoroughly sanded and perfect. no orange peel, dings, deep scratchs, etc.. they will transfer thru to your next coat... " your paint is only as good as whats underneath"...

5. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

I used about 4 cans of spray paint :D I'll let you know how it looks in the spring :rolleyes:

6. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

I got an idea for the top... get it line x or rhino liner my theory is that it will make it stronger but then again i could be wrong. i thing at least it would help it from chipping the fiberglass when you take it off and on not to mention keep your body from accidently getting scratched up real bad for those people who care about there body