Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

fiberglass/wood enclosure...

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jan 17, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I was watching a TV show called "Rides" one time and they made a car sub enclosure out of the special wood, with a fiberglass base for the speakers to sit on. I think it would be neat to make one that is curved from the fiberglass... following the right ammount of layers and all that, would it be strong enough after the volume is turned up a lot? or would the fiberglass break? I have no fibreglass experiecn, and I saw this, so I was just wondeering. Also, how does the fiberglass effect the sound quality? Thanks!

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i would think the stuff i used for my console, its an extruded composite glass would make for an awesome enclosure. stuffs megadense.. expensive tho..

i saw that show too, think it was behind the seats in a pickup...

fiberglass is one of my professions.. :wink1:

3. joefl

joefl 1/2 ton status

I have helped make some of this boxes and they hold up very good. We have put JL W7's in these boxes and they held up fine. We use a fiberglass resin on some kind of fabric "I forget what kind it is". Sand it. Then we put down fiberglass sheets down with more resin. Sand smooth. Then body filler and hardner. Do the body filler again. Sand smooth and your ready prime and paint. Take's a long time and alot of effort to do. It's really worth it. Helped a friend do his whole interior of his 99 Chevy ex-cab. For your interior pieces just sand it with some 80 or 100 grit, clean, spray it with some body filler and hardner, sand smooth, prime, and then paint.

4. ryoken

theres a massive amount of tech to glasswork.. being in the boat industry i get a heavy dose..:crazy:

polyester vs epoxies, carbonfibers, different kinds of cloth, mat, etc.. different thickening agents (i now use a homemade, low density, epoxy filler for ALL my bondo needs, including cars. :eek1: ), vacuum bagging, etc...

if you guys could check out the machine-made composites you'd love em.. awesome, awesome, product... so many uses... incredibly strong, durable, lightweight, etc.. can't wait to finish my dash and start on the rear side panels... should make for awesome speaker enclosure material.. http://www.pultrude.com/stand.html

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay cool. I will google it later this week and laearn more about it. Depending on how much it would cost I might make one... make my friends jealous!
    No, but I cant believe the prices of some pre-made boxes they sell.
    Thanks!!

6. ryoken

you could hand lay a box on the cheap with polyester... its 1/8 the cost of epoxy. like $20 a gallon.. and cloth is pretty cheap too.. much more intensive labor than wood construction..

tho if its a standard shape, ie rectangle, etc, then standard build materials of wood and carpet would be cheapest and easiest..

hit me on a pm with any questions on glass stuff.... think i've got some links floating around too...

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay I will plan to PM you tomorrow, I'm in the middle fo studying right now:crazy:

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don';t have enough money for all the materials so this project is kicked for the future.

9. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I use either partical board or MDF board for the base of my boxes. My current box in my 85 has 3/4in board on all sides, except the front is 1/2in doubled so that the first piece has a bigger hole and the speaker axle screws the back 1/2in piece resession my 10" sub 1/2" into the box. The denser the board or material for your box the better, you dont want any flex out of the wood or other material. I"m also going to cover my box with kittyhair bondo, I dont know how to do glass work so I kinda do the retard route, but it works for me :D

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Where can I get that particle or MDF board from?

11. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

home depot. about 25$ or so for 8'x4' x3/4" sheet of MDF. thats what i build my box out of. very pleased. MDF is much better to use than particle IMO. depends on how your finishing it tho i guess. if your fiberglassing it over than particle would be fine.

12. Spkrman

Spkrman Registered Member

MDF is superior to particle board in just about every aspect - very worth the extra $.

You can also use expensive plywood... but of course, its expensive :)

13. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

I've Been Around The Show Truch Scene For Awhile Now And I Seen And Done My Fair Share Of Fiberglass Boxes And Interior Pieces And It Looks Awsome When Done Right But I Dont Recomend In A High Power Stereo System Or A Hard Driven Vehicle That Involes Alot Of Body Flex I Have Yet To See A Fiberglass Box In One Of Those Situations Not Crack Dont Get Me Wrong I Don't Mean Bust Into Pieces But Stress Cracks Usally At The Corners Ill Have One Im My Truck When Its Done And I Know It Will Eventually Get A Crack Somewhere