Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fiberglassed Dash?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by andhar, Aug 5, 2004.

1. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

Has anyone here glassed the dash pad, mine is all broken up and I am thinking of taking it off and using bondo on it and sanding then painting it. lemme know if you have any ideas for this project of if you have seen any1 that had this done.

thanks guys

2. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Did it once when I worked at a body shop. You have to use an adative to the glass to protect against the heat from the sun. It is a massive project. All the time it takes might be worth the price of buying a new stock replacement. Have you checked junk yards for a good one? Vinyl painting a good one is cheap and quick.

-Chris

3. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

The ones in the salvage are all torn up, I will most likely get one from there and start the prokect from there, what kind of adative do I need?

I was thinking of glassing some kind of gauges into the pad as well, we will see I guess..

4. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

The additive was the opposite of a hardner that you would put in paint. It allowed some flexing. Maybe it was called a flex agent? I don't remember exactly.

You'd be better off asking this question on fullsizechevy.com if you're going to add gauges and the like.

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

take a utility knife and cut a V out of the dash along the cracks. Get some expanding foam (not the triple expanding), and fill in the cracks. Wait about ahour for it to completely dry and harden then use a razor lay it flat on the dash and work it around till you have the foam trimmed off at dash level, then rough it up / level it out with some sand paper. Then at some autoparts stores you can get a dash repair kit that has the plastic filler that dries to the texture of the dash, then use some of that fusion plastic paint.

I got a maroon dash off ebay for $87, so bought it. In my project truck I might do the foam stuff, then I'm color chaning it from tan to grey.

6. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure what you're willing to spend, but if you're interested they do make a replacment out of the harder plastic stuff. They are just like the "skins" that cover the dash, except they are a full replacment. Think they go for 250.00 of so... bit pricey, but it will likely be the last one you need. I'm pretty sure they already come in factory colors too.

Then, there is always the plastic skins for around 80-100 bucks. Might be worth it vs. time spent with the glass etc. anyway, just a suggestion.