Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Field fixes. What have you done?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Twiz, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

The fun;
    It snowed, so I took the ol' beater blazer to work today.
    As I'm driveing down the freeway, it occures to me,
    that I really haven't spent much time with the ol'girl lately.
    So, I thought I'd pull-over and think about that for a bit'.
    while I by-passed the heater-core that just misted the windshield.

The fix;
    Plumed the heater hoses into the A.C. sys. for some heat on the ride home.

That got me thinking of all the road-side fixes, and some of the trail-side fixes.
    Anyone else? What broke, how'd you fix it?

<font color=blue>Twiz

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I sheared my tcase crossmember from my frame. I tore the piece of frame that the xmember bolts to. My tranny and tcase were hanging half way out of my truck. I took the stock jack, jacked the tcase back into position. Then I took my tow chain, ran it over my frame, bolted it to a bolt hole in the xmember. Then I bolted the chain to the xmember under the frame. Then my only problem was what to do with the other 24ft of chain hanging from under my rig. I wrapped it around a running board support and masterlocked it to itself and drove home.

It was more of a parking lot fix, but I had to fix my buddies Heep on many occasions. Once he blew a tranny cooler line (rubber). He didn't have many tool, so I took a radiator hose he had, cut a strip out and hose clamped it in several places over the whole in his line, filled it with fluid, and he drove home.

Another parking lot fix was my aunts Suzuki Samurai. She had a flat tire, so I went to change it for her. I went to take her lugs off, and one of her lugs stripped inside the wheel. So I couldn't get the lug off. I had to take my 20 inch chisel and BFH and beat through the lug nut. It took a long time, but I finally got it off and changed her tire.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I broke a front spindle clean in two on a jeep I had. I was quite a ways back and had to walk out. On the way out a guy gave me a ride back to town where I called a buddy. We went to a junk yard and picked up a spindle. Took it back up there and got it back togeather in time to go for a quick ruffled grouse hunt while we were up there. both of us even got a couple of grouse.

Another time I put the fan into the radiator while hill climbing in a scout. The hill had a vertical wall in it. When I hit it it caused my frame to flex and the fan took out my radiator. Needless to say I was bummed when i got to the top and smelled anti-freeze.
    One of the guys I was with usually carries a hardware store around with him. He rummaged around in his tool box for a while and came up with a propane torch some solder, and some vinegar to clean the metal with. It took about an hour to cut out the bad tubes and solder them up. and we were back on our way.
    Also have repaired assoted starters, alternators, u-joints, drive lines, axels and just about anything else that breaks on the trail. Even chained my motor in one time when I broke both motor mounts and had to get out.

<font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Thunder on 11/26/01 10:54 PM.</FONT></P>

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

You guys ever think this place is like Jeopardy, everything has to be in the form of a question.

The fun;
    Master cyl gave it up. I had no pedal, unless I pumped it.

The fix;
    Clipped the rear brake lines off, to give me some pedal. The lesser of the two evils in this case.

<font color=blue>Twiz</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Twiztid on 11/26/01 11:44 PM.</FONT></P>

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> I sheared off 2 of the 3 knuckles on my steering arm and Jerry rigged it to get me home .......... It was all over the road !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

6. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

last time out i ripped both bolts out of the rag joint. undid both bolts from the shaft put them back in the ripped out holes slipped the shaft back in place and tightened the h$ll out of them. got me home. come to think of it, it got me to work the next day to!

bob

<font color=blue>DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/24975635VazeJOnxiI>SEE MY PHOTOS</a>

7. Had the rear end of a 6x6 5 ton (ya know, the old military style) truck roll up. Broke the clamps/ u bolts on one side that tie the axle to the leaf springs. Took two bottle jacks and a come along and rolled the axle back in place, then secured the axle to the leafs with a length of chain. Drove that truck the rest of the logging season like that.

American by birth, Marine by the grace of God

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Had a club member bust a spring shackle mount on a jeep. Couple of Clevis's to hold it together. That's on the end of this.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mindspring.com/~beyler/GBR-AC-1.wmv>www.mindspring.com/~beyler/GBR-AC-1.wmv</a>
    I'm on the end of this one trying to run over the camera guy and some footage of a Pinzigar 712 on here also.
    communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim>coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hey Grim, is this one of your guys? [​IMG] He's doing the log-replaces-wheel trick. [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.woytovich.com/cruisers/new/pricelessTJ.jpg>http://www.woytovich.com/cruisers/new/pricelessTJ.jpg</a>

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

hahaha not anybody I know. Usualy we have a spare axle with us (lots of jeeps have that POS D35) so usualy with us sombody has a spare. Pictures of Jeeps riding on logs is pretty common. I have seen at least a dozen. Tell me why jeeps are so great again?

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Jeeps are great cuz they look so good riding a log...
    The only thing that could make the D35 worse is if they added a gov-lock to it.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

12. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

5 hours into a 5.5 hour trip I lost my fuel pump on the NY Thruway. We spent two hours narrowing it down to a dead fuel pump and then figuring out how to get the truck off the highway. Finally had to back it onto a friends trailer with starter fluid and I drove my friends cherokee on a custom coilover suspension, with unbalanced 38" TSL's to camp. Since it got dark while we were on the thruway, our "navigator" didn't exactly know how to get to the campground so it took us another 3 hours driving around the Adirondacks till we finally found it. It's not fun trying to get 11 rigs, 5 of which are towing trailers, turned around on a narrow mountain road... 8 times!! We passed the campground 6 times before someone else tookover the map reading, and the whole time I was still driving a death trap cherokee. So we finally got to the state campground at midnight and they almost didn't want to let us in since the gates closed at 11. So at 12:30 am, while everyone is setting up camp, myself and two friends proceed to drop my gas tank and replace the fuel pump. We had all the tools we could want, except for a floor jack, and my 31 gallon tank was 3/4 full of gas. We finally finished at 3 am and had to jumpstart the truck since we were using the underhood drop light the entire time. We got yelled at by the park rangers 5 times for noise complaints, missed dinner and lots of beer, got covered with grease and dirt in a campground with no showers, and got 4 hours of sleep before hitting some of the hardest trails in NY. That weekend we saw two broken axles, a 44" tsl launch off the rim and fly 10 feet, a broken T-case, smashed a jeep skidplate up so bad the tranny was hitting the floor and wouldn't shift, a smashed TJ windshield frame, and a hell of a lot of body damage. I ended up leaving on Sunday with a blown front u-joint, smashed the oppsite hub so it wouldn't unlock, wrapped a steering stabilizer around the tie rod, and half of the major body damage. Yet another stop on the side of the road to tear the hubs apart so the broken axle didn't beat the [censored] out of my ball joints. All in all, it was one of the best wheeling trips I've ever been on.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's a pretty good idea, rerouting through the ac...

I had a '73 Dodge Polara once that I built up pretty good, but used the stock motor mounts on. Everytime I hit the pedal a little too hard, the engine would twist up and shred the motor mount, then flop down and drop the hot lead from the alternator on the shock tower, starting a small fire under the hood... After it ripped the y-pipe in half and I went dual exhaust, the right side pipe used to somehow hit the tie rod, so I could only make right turns when the mounts went and didn't blow the links. I learned quickly in parking lots how to lift the motor with a jackhandle and tie a brick between the frame and the block... Also moved and extended the fusible links to next to the brake booster, so I could splice out the burn quicker... Eventually, I chained the motor to the mounts... That thing used to tear up custom fabricated steel mounts...

A current field fix is the various sized bolts and extra nuts (playing locknut) holding my AC compressor in...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Welcome to America.

14. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

One of my power steering hoses came loose,and was rubbing on the belt resulting in a leak that sprayed the udercarrage..

the fix-Ductape and added more fluid off I went to the part's house before I went home..

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>Welcome to Bucketheadland</a>

15. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah, Grim and Bear did some work on my truck. Fender is still mashed up looking. I don't think I can fix that. Sucks that I don't have too much more room to cut, or else, I would just cut that part of the fend off. Oh well.

Anyhow, Grim, I might have that part you're missing. I remember picking up something that I saw laying on the ground when all yall went to the RTI ramp. It's that little piece I used to punch out the sheered spring pin right? Also used it to lined up the springs....
    If so, I think I remember picking it up. I'll look for it tonight. I don't remember what I did with it. PM me your address and I will mail it to you if I can find it. Thanks again for the spring pin and helping me out. Thanks Bear too!! [​IMG]
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

16. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

problem: buddy's motorcycle won't stay running, crappy idle, etc. on a road trip with several bikes and chase vehicles, but no real tools.

fix: rummage through gf's trunk. find tp, hairspray among all the other [censored] back there. placed tp over intake, piece by piece, spraying with liberal amounts of aqua net. allow a minute or two between coats to dry, and the ninja ran like a champ till the next rainstorm!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

On the way home from Dixie Run my power steering pump bracket broke in half. When I opened the hood I din't even see the pump. It had fallen and was stuck between the frame and the harmonic balancer and the pulley had almost cut through one of the lines. I managed to get the pump close to where it belonged with some very large zip ties-like the ones they use for hand cuffs. Then secured it back in place with some double stranded .032" safty wire. Got me home with P/S working a little.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

18. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

This was back when we just started wheelin and didn't know anything, like BRING TOOLS. We busted a center pin on the front right spring pack of my brothers 4Runner, half way up a gnarly trail miles from anywhere, at night. Three teenagers in one truck. We camped out (if you can call it camping, more like slept on a pile of granite with no tents or sleeping bags or even blankets) and in the morning found an old rail road spike. We kicked the hell out of the tire getting it back in position, then pounded the spike in between a couple leaves with a rock. I still don't believe it held, as we went back, a couple hundred yards down some crazy shiznit, then about 10 miles down the nice dirt road and another ten miles on a paved road to the shop where the guy said, "Did you know you have a rail road spike jammed in your leaf pack?"

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/dana60manual>http://photos.yahoo.com/dana60manual</a>

19. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

LMAO[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well Twiz, you saw this field fix in person...

The problem, I'm just west of Laramie Wyoming towing a K5 home from Texas and my volt guage drops from 13.5 down to 11. I stop and open the hood while it's still running and see the alternator flopping around but the belt is still there. Diagnosis...alternator pivot bolt sheared off at the block.[​IMG]
    The bolt sheared and the spacer dropped out on the highway.

The solution...I shut the truck off and did a complete inventory of tools and spare parts. For some odd reason I had no spare alternator bolt with me and I certainly had no spacer. I finally grabbed a 5" C-clamp and wedged it onto the alternator bracket. I applied tension to the alternator and slid the clamp against it and tightened the clamp. It looked quite goofy and the belt was running at an angle but it worked. I drove it that way from just outside of Laramie til Clearfield, Utah (about 350 miles) where Twiz was waiting for me with the right parts (thanks buddy!)

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>